City Of Rocks lead climber needed this weekend

Original Post
Tony Cummins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I'm taking my wife ( who doesn't climb or belay) and 14 year old that wants to climb up to City Of Rocks tomorrow for the first time. I have very little climbing experience other than setting up top ropes for my son in BCC and basically being his belay slave in the gym. I can belay a lead climber ( I took an introduction course through UMA and belayed my guide/instructor on a couple of pitches).

If someone wants to lead climb and set up a top rope for us in COR this weekend (we're there till Monday) I can belay you. We're camping at the Castle Rock campground by the way. Otherwise I am looking for TR routes in CORs where I can scramble to the top to set up the anchor (preferably a route with bolts at the anchor). Any info or suggestions on this would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 20

Mountain Project has a cool feature that lets you search for a climbing area then you click the "Best climbs for You in this area" link in the middle of the page. You can select a difficulty range and toprope, sport, etc. I did a quick search for you and found a few in the 5.4-5.7 range. 

https://www.mountainproject.com/scripts/Search.php?searchType=routeFinder&minVotes=0&selectedIds=%27105739322%27&type=rock&diffMinrock=1000&diffMinboulder=20000&diffMinaid=70000&diffMinice=30000&diffMinmixed=50000&diffMaxrock=1900&diffMaxboulder=20150&diffMaxaid=73510&diffMaxice=36500&diffMaxmixed=54500&is_top_rope=1&stars=0&pitches=0&sort1=area&sort2=rating

notmyname · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 65

so you want someone to guide you for free?

notmyname wrote:

I'm not looking for a guide...I have a guideBOOK (and this app). Seeing if anyone wants to climb in CORs this weekend with us that can lead. 

Eric · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 10
notmyname wrote:

What do you care if someone takes him up on his request?

I appreciate you trying to help RKM and Roamin buffalo but my son can't lead or belay me (he's special needs). I do appreciate the route suggestions though, they might be something I can work with. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply