Finger of Fate Rap Weirdness?

Original Post
Noah.J · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 428

There's a bizarre rap station on the North side of the Finger about 32m down from the belay for the final pitch consisting of a pair of bomber looking 60m ropes tied together, attached to a slung block, backed up to a nut.  Figured they looked tempting, and decided to rap them, however they just stop midway down a dihedral about 20m from a good ledge, near a fixed stopper behind a sketchy partially attached block.  I fortunately had a rope backpacked, so just tied them together at the ends, left a biner, rigged my rope, passed the knot and went on my merry way.  However as I was walking out I wondered just what was going on there, the lack of knots in the end made me a bit sick to my stomach that perhaps someone had a bad accident out there.  If not that then I'm just kind of curious about what they were doing there, it didn't seem like someone was working a route, it looked like a rap line to nowhere.

Anyone care to shed some light?

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 20

Sounds interesting. Nothing like that when I was there in May. 

ParkerBrown · · ketchum, ID · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 15

just climbed that dihedral on saturday and was curious about this myself.  I couldn't figure out why they were there either, it was even stranger finding it with the biner on the end but your post explains that part.  hopefully someone will chime in with some info  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply