Mountain Project Logo

New to Orange County - Looking for People to Climb With

Original Post
Joshua Palmer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

I just moved to Laguna Niguel this past month. I want to start climbing outside, but I have the small issue of not knowing anyone. I have sport gear, and two 5 inch bouldering pads. I climb around 5.10-5.11/ V4-5. I just started my first full-time job so I'm looking to go out on weekends for bouldering or sport climbing.

David Vogel · · Lake Forest, CA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,305

Hey Joshua,

Welcome! Feel free to use my guest pass and we can work some problems with some gym friends. I know a few locals that Boulder, I'm familiar with crags around Socal, I like Trad but Sport and also Boulder sometimes. I know what it's like to move and not know a lot of people. My gym is also full of people your age and it's really close to your city. Anyway shoot me a PM if you want - David

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,280

David Fogel is an upstanding gentleman who always brings flowers to the first climbing date and has his hand steadfast in the brake side of the rope. I would and have trusted him with my life but I would never let him near to my women considering his suave personality and impeccable hygiene.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 125

Howdy Josh.  I am always looking for potential outside partners.  I clamb at SenderOne indoors, so if you want to check it out, I can let you use my guest pass.  I am free most Saturdays, and am most interested in trad, but I can be convinced to climb sport.  Good luck trying to get me pebble wresting.  I have pretty much anything we would need in the way of gear.

grose505 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

I'm a bit late to respond but I'm also new to the Orange County area if you (or anyone else) are still looking for a climbing partner.

David Vogel · · Lake Forest, CA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,305

Grose- i'll be at the gym with some friends this afternoon and again later in the week. You can use my guest pass to get in for free. I like getting out on the weekends! It's going to be a rad season coming up real soon!

Daniel T · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35

Im slightly outside of Orange County in Riverside.  I don't mind climbing with new people, so Grose and Jousha feel free to hit me up for some climbing.  You guys probably climb way harder than I do but if thats not an issue shoot me a PM.

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

In addition to the gyms, hit The Beach (Corona del Mar) on Tues. or Thurs. evenings and you'll meet folks as well.  Not sure what it's like now but was pretty hopping back in my day, and you'll meet people who actually climb outside.

Matt G · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
  • Hi Josh. I am also looking for climbing partners. I'm pretty new to climbing but am looking to climb outdoors more. I live in Long Beach. 
Johnny Victor · · Joshua Tree · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

A great venue to learn about climbing outdoors is Climb Smart hosted by Friends of Joshua Tree, friendsofjosh.org in Joshua Tree. It's a three day clinic were you can meet new friends and improve your climbing skills. Check out the Eventbrite page for more info. This event raises money for the volunteer search & rescue team in Joshua Tree National Park.   https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fojt-climb-smart-2017-tickets-35443516512?aff=eac2 

Daniel T · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35
Johnny Victor wrote:

A great venue to learn about climbing outdoors is Climb Smart hosted by Friends of Joshua Tree, friendsofjosh.org in Joshua Tree. It's a three day clinic were you can meet new friends and improve your climbing skills. Check out the Eventbrite page for more info. This event raises money for the volunteer search & rescue team in Joshua Tree National Park.   https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fojt-climb-smart-2017-tickets-35443516512?aff=eac2 

This is such a fun event, you cant go wrong with coming out to hang with fellow climbers.

ColinW · · San Diego, CA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 70

Hey Josh, 

If you're willing to drive south past San Clemente and east of Oceanside (or further south to Hwy 52), I'd be stoked to hit up some routes at Dixon Lake (By Escondido, east of Oceanside) or Mission Gorge (Just south of Hwy 52) on the weekends. If you want to boulder, bring your pads and we can hit up Mt. Woodson, a renowned boulder spot, or top rope some routes(I have PLENTY of trad gear). I know all the places well and when winter comes around, I know El Cajon mountain for multi-pitch sport climbing well and if conditions are good, Suicide & Tahquitz mountain(Trad climbing) pretty well. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply