Ice Climbing Gloves

Original Post
DCarey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 15

On the hunt for a new pair of gloves for this season. I have been using BD Punishers as well as the Marmot Spring Glove. I like the warmth that comes with the Punisher, but of course you loose dexterity with added insulation and they take a long time to dry out. I like how nimble the Spring Glove is for technical mixed routes and placing pro/building anchors etc. But they get wet easily and once you stop moving your fingers freeze. So I guess I am looking for something in between these two. It does not need to be super warm because at belays I just pull out the thick belay gloves. 

I am currently considering two options. 

Outdoor Research Project Glove: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/project-gloves/p/2448790001005

Rab Talon Glove: https://rab.equipment/us/accessories-equipment/gloves/talon-glove-4

Does anyone have experience with either of these gloves, or what glove setup has worked best for you? Open to any suggestions and advice. 

NorCalNomad · · San Francisco · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 105

2 gloves mininum. 

For climbing, the thinnest you can get away with in the conditions the better. Thicker gloves = gripping harder = less blood flow

The golf glove approach for climbing used by a lot of people is very valid. 

Then at least have a belay glove. Extra liners are handy to do a 2.5 system

jon jugenheimer · · Madison · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,049

I have been using the BD terminators for as long as I can remember. 

yukonjack · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 15

I used OR stormtracker for ice (with Rab Guide at the belay)...worked good.

Craghead · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 65

I have used the OR Project gloves for one season now and they are currently my go-to glove for leading. A good compromise between dexterity and warmth. Placing screws with them is no problem.

William Kramer · · Kemmerer, WY · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 810

I've been using Camp Gecko Hot for past couple of seasons, they have been a really good "in the middle" glove as far as insulation. Great grip, no barfies as of yet, and hardly any wear or tear.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 20

I have both the OR and Rab gloves. The OR gloves are my current favorite among the many that I have. The Rab gloves seem kind of stiff or less dexterous, or something. I don't really like them. But, like others have said, you have to have at least 2 pair of gloves because they WILL get wet and freeze. My buddy has the Camp Gecko and really likes them a lot. 

You also want to have a good pair of insulated leather gloves for belaying/rappelling. I have used hardware store gloves in the past with good success. 2 years ago I scored a really good deal on some quality leather ski gloves that are awesome for belaying and rappelling. 

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

I have the Project Gloves and I feel they're a little too beefy for leading.  They're stuffed with a lot of synthetic insulation - 266 g/m2 on the back of the hand and 60 g/m2 in the palms.

EWilliams · · Truckee, CA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 40
Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 20
AlpineIce wrote:

I have the Project Gloves and I feel they're a little too beefy for leading.  They're stuffed with a lot of synthetic insulation - 266 g/m2 on the back of the hand and 60 g/m2 in the palms.

I must have a different pair of OR gloves then. Mine have no palm insulation and a little on the back of the hand. Hmmm, I wonder what I have. 

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 162

For climbing in moderate temperatures, I have given up on fancy "ice climbing" gloves and I climb almost exclusively in thinner windstopper gloves, like the Seirus OZ.

https://www.seirus.com/windstopper-oz-6574.html

Insulated Kincos work great for belaying and rappeling.

John Vanek · · Gardnerville, NV · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

Gotta love it; the annual "what glove do you use" question has been opened up! I've gone to $20 leather gloves with Thinsulate from Ace Hardware as my lead glove, with BD Guide glove for belaying, rappelling. But - as others mention - I have a quiver of gloves and have 3-4 pair with me for ice cragging. What I plan to add is a super warm mitten, like the OR. And lots of Snowseal on the leather work gloves  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply