Condition of Central Camp Rd. In Shuteye area

Original Post
Steve Blevins · · Central Coast, CA · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 85

I was stopped at a creek cutting the road (Central Camp Rd) 1.3 mi from the pavement of Beasore/5S07 last week. I had already had 2 near epics that day, so I didn't build up the crossing with rock and dirt for my Sienna minvan to cross over on.

Can anyone share the condition of Central Camp Rd going to 6S59? Is it passable by reasonably capable 2wd drive vehicles? Is 6S59 ok going to 2WD camp?

According to my topos, Central Camp Rd continues on down to the highway just south of Bass Lake as 6S42. Has anyone tried getting to 6S59 from there?

Also, has anyone driven from Brown's Meadow Rd (7S02) on past 7S02M or K to 6S59?  It appears to be only 2-3 miles to 6S59, and I drove to about 1/2 mile past 7S02K where the road steepens, takes a couple sharp turns and gets rough. I think I could get down it ok, and the rest of the road looks fairly level,  but I have doubts about getting out the same way. If it goes ok, sure would be handy for going to 2WD camp from Big Sleep, etc.

Thanks, y'all.

beau Griffith · · Fresno, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 15

I'm also interested in viability of Big Sleep access. There is a supertopo thread, last updated end of June on same and I managed to rip the bumper off my Subaru Forester on the same creek I believe Steve is speaking of. That was much earlier in the season and I imagine continued runoff as well as other vehicles attempting to cross has worsened the creek.

C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 461

-Getting into High Eagle -- min stock 4x4 recommended, The road was bad enough last year, after this winter -- its pretty darn rough. I wont take my Subaru in anymore. I would adivse finding a friend with a truck or a Jeep. 

-Big Sleep -- I drove all the way in with my Subaru about a month ago - no problem. 

As a side note - there is no shortage of classic climbs in Shuteye that don;t need 4x4, or really even clearence. For some reason everyone goes to High Eagle and Big Sleep, but there is a lot more cool stuff out there, and there is no one at those crags. 

Steve Blevins · · Central Coast, CA · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 85

The Brown's Meadow rd is generally good. Just a couple of places where a creek has crossed the road that are rough. Just slow down and be careful. The Cascadel access is closed at Autumn Ridge way as of Aug. 1

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply