Mountain Project Logo

Be careful leaving packs by Bastille

Original Post
James Huang · · Ford Econoline · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 10

This morning my partner and I left our packs at the bottom of Bastille crack and by the time we got down, both packs were gone. Also my coffee mug.

Couldn't believe it. Anyways, be careful.

Justin Compton · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 785

I'm sorry!  That really sucks, but it's not the first or last time something like this will happen there.  I've always been hesitant to leave my pack at the base there, even tucked behind the rocks just to the left of the start, with anything of value in it.    So from now on I'll just run my pack back to the car rather than risk it disappearing.  

Haha yeah I'll be doing that from now on as well. I guess I should have known better, there is just so much traffic there, but to be honest, it never even crossed my mind that someone would take a pack full of granola, water, a mid layer, and a rain shell. Lesson learned though, no big deal in the long run.

Nick Spitznagle · · Denver, Co · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 114

I would say this applies to all of Eldo. The gutter trash have adapted and have been spotted foraging as far as shirt tail peak. They can easily be shooed off tho with a simple drop of a rock from above 

Lena chita · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 250

oh, that sucks! Sorry you lost your pack.

Branty · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 245

Did you check wth the Ranger Station at the back of the park? I got down a little late once, and they had snagged two packs from near the start. If the sun was down when you got down, they might have them, but they also might write you up in order to return them to you. A real dilemma....

ALuckyDuck · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 60

Sorry you lost some stuff James. Driving by the base of the Bastille today I saw two packs and a cell phone in plain sight. Some shadier characters would have had an easy opportunity. Shame this is an issue :/ 

Branty wrote:

Did you check wth the Ranger Station at the back of the park? I got down a little late once, and they had snagged two packs from near the start. If the sun was down when you got down, they might have them, but they also might write you up in order to return them to you. A real dilemma....

yeah we filed a report with them. We got down in the morning, I think it was likely taken by a non climber walking by. Maybe driving by.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

you may pay to me yes many oh yes of your american rubles ha ha to stand guard at the base of the bastille, ho ho, shirtless of course, meat of neck, sculpted guns, and chiseled abs flexing in most intimidating manner, with stunning features blue eyes staring down the intruder with the coolness nordic iceberg, myahhhh myahhhhhhh, warhammer in hand and ready for battle. no one would be touching on your pack or they would be crushed to smithereen by crushing headlock of gorilla carrying lumber style!

all your flash are belong to me

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply