Portland area vs Sacramento area for quality and accessibility

Original Post
Kassia Howell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Trying to decide where to put down roots and I'm looking at Sandy or Hood River, OR (east of Portland) and Grass Valley, CA (northeast of Sac). 

I'm somewhat new to climbing outdoor, but of course I'm addicted. Favorite so far is single-pitch sport, but I want to do more multi-pitch and learn to lead trad eventually.

I've climbed at Smith, but nowhere in the Gorge and I haven't climbed around the Sierras at all.

Looking for opinions of accessibility/quality/quantity: for day-to-day climbing, longer weekend trips, and partners/clubs.

I see that there is/was some interest in a bouldering co-op in Grass Valley, and I think Hood River could sustain one as well. If I end up in Sandy, I'll probably be looking at going to Portland for a gym, which is a bummer.

I have a list of pros and cons for each place that are not specifically climbing related, but happy to get more general info regarding these areas, as well.

Discuss!

PS: Anyone in either of those areas looking for a roommate (must be ok with awesome 45 lb dog)?

Will S · · Joshua Tree · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 998

Well I just finished writing a long reply to the one you deleted, hit "post" and found you'd deleted it. So I'm not re-typing all that.

Liived in Portland for years, lived in and near the Sierra for years. Grass Valley, no question. Better rock, more rock, better weather. Llifetimes of high quality multi pitch routes on amazing granite, without the 7months of incessant rain you get on the west side of cascades.  

Kassia Howell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Ack! I'm sorry about deleting it on you, thanks for re-replying and thanks for the input!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply