Mountain Project Logo

Exped packs - Serac & Black Ice lines

Original Post
Jesse Warren · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

Wondering if anyone has had any experiences with Exped packs. Looking at getting either their Serac 35 or Black Ice 35 (or maybe the 45’s) to be used as an alpine climbing and ski touring pack. Looks like a slightly more featured version of the Arcteryx Alpha FL 30/45 that everyone seems to love. Anyone tried them? Curious specifically about how the fabric compares to the Alpha FL. 

Chris Walden · · Soldotna, Alaska · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 640

I am a big fan of Exped gear.  I have switched entirely over to their mats and have a bunch of them (Downmat, Synmat, Airmat, and air pillows).  I have and regularly use the Thunder 70 pack and thoroughly enjoy it.  It's lightweight, carries big or smaller loads really well.  Their customer service, quality and warranty is also superb.

Same goes for Arc'teryx gear customer service, quality and warranty is superb.  Pants, packs, jackets etc. I have a large collection and use almost daily.  

With that said I wouldn't hesitate to mention either company in the same breath.  

Regarding that pack specifically I had the Serac 35, tested it and liked it a lot.  In the end I choose the Alpha FL 30 because I wanted a more stripped down, lightweight minimalist pack for my uses in that Liter range and the Alpha FL fit the bill.  Your needs may differ but either pack is standout just a little different in features.  Specifically the fabric between the two packs are very similar.

BTW I am selling a Alpha FL 45 if interested.  

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 95

This Expeds look like nice packs except they lack the proper attachment system for modern ice tools, which is a deal killer for me. 

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255
Doug Hutchinson wrote:

This Expeds look like nice packs except they lack the proper attachment system for modern ice tools, which is a deal killer for me. 

Agreed. Why the hell don't they make their "alpine" packs with modern tool attachments? Seems like they're missing the point here, LoL.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply