Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Off Topic - Gunks Hiking Access Question.

Original Post
Rob Blakemore · · Boston, MA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 90

The Mohonk Preserve website says that a hiking pass from the Mohonk Preserve will be honored in Minnewaska State Park and on the Mohonk Mountain House grounds but doesn't specify the noted restrictions and regulations.  Does anyone know if this is accurate and what those restrictions are?  

"You can continue your hike onto the grounds of the Mohonk Mountain House and into the Minnewaska State Park Preserve. Some restrictions and separate regulations apply. Check with a ranger for details."  (

I will certainly check with a ranger next time I'm there, but was curious if anyone had up to date info.  (I have a MP membership, but some of my friends don't and we'd like to hike a longer route and possibly avoid the separate (MSP $10/vehicle, MP $15/hiker, MMH $26/hiker) day-use fees if an MP pass allows that). 

I hike at least as much as I climb in the Gunks and have wandered onto one or the other property many times without a problem, but wasn't sure if that was just dumb luck or official policy. 

Thanks for any info and sorry for the non-rock climbing question.

MojoMonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 66

Things that require additional fees or certifications aren't included. So you could hike through Peterskill but not climb (has a separate fee). There is a test and fee for long distance swimmers in Minnewaska, for example ( I've run/biked into Minnewaska with no fee, since that is per-car.

SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 250

If you park at Jenny Lane (small lot) you will avoid all fees.

MojoMonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 66
SethG wrote:

If you park at Jenny Lane (small lot) you will avoid all fees.

Though you still are supposed to have a MP pass or day pass if you enter the MP grounds. I was carded once on a ride.

Rob Blakemore · · Boston, MA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 90

I really appreciate the info.  Thanks!

I basically want to do a traverse of the ridge starting in South Gully and ending in Rosendale (the SRT looks cool but skips Gertrude's / Millbrook Ridge / Eagle Cliff / Skytop which is a shame). I'm guessing with MP day passes, parking near Ellenville and spotting a car at Binnewater Kiln we should be able to do the whole thing without any extra fees. 

That'd be cool, I was thinking it might be a $50 day. 

Happiegrrrl · · Gunks · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 60

So - to the OP.  If you are entering Miiewaska on foot or bicycle, you pay no fee.  Have your membershp card or buy a day pass while accessing the Mohonk Preerve, and that pass also allows access to the Mountain House grounds. A helmet is required for bicyles on MP and MMH grounds, and not all paths are open for bicycles.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Off Topic - Gunks Hiking Access Question. "
in the Northeastern States

Log In to Reply