Mountain Project Logo

Finding a Mentor in Wisconsin

Original Post
Max Rieg · · Portland, OR · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

Hey Everyone,

How do people meet Mentors? Feels like a stupid question, but as I start to get more serious with climbing I am wondering how people find experienced climbers willing to climb with them... I have been looking out for folks to climb with and it seems like everyone is either more experienced and looking for someone at a similar skill level or they are newer like myself and looking for guidance. I think the issue for me comes down to the fact that I know enough to be dangerous but not nearly enough to take charge. I have taken a self rescue course and have had the basics of outdoor top roping / anchor building demonstrated to me by a friend of a friend. I took the belay class and lead climbing class at Boulder's in Madison and often will lead climb there - but these are only short, indoor sport routes. So with only one outdoor sport lead, some top roped Devil's Lake climbs, puns, dad jokes, a box full of used gear, and some education under my belt I feel like i am hardly scratching the surface of climbing and am in no way ready to be the most experienced person in a group. 

With my recent job change I now have the ability to flex one day a week plus early morning / early evening flexibility, so I am hoping there is someone around the Madison / Devil's Lake / Governor Dodge area looking to tic off some routes. My long-ish term goals are to start making climbing trips and knocking off some of the really inspiring 5.fun multi pitch routes out west as well as classics like Devil's Tower, Smith Rock, Yosemite, JTree, ect . I just feel like I am never going to get to a level where that is possible unless i finally admit defeat and ask for help finding a mentor. The internet, books, and classes can only get you so far. 

Any advice for how to find someone who needs a belay partner and is willing to show a gumbie the ropes would be amazing! 

And anyone looking for a soft catch that comes with bribery beers in exchange for your ancient climbing wisdom drop me a PM! 

Mark Verosky · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 46

Sorry no one answered you. 

Usually people are willing to mentor less expierenced climbers. The best place to find them is by talking to and meeting people at your local gym. You will kinda have to force yourself into that talk about how they feel about mentoring someone and if they appear willing, ask them if they would be willing to mentor you. 

If you can't find a mentor or while looking for a mentor. Practice skills close to the ground with other climbing friends. It can help speed up the learning curve and make you more comfortable when you're up off the deck.

Hope this helps a little

Max Rieg · · Portland, OR · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5
Mark Verosky wrote:

Sorry no one answered you. 

Usually people are willing to mentor less expierenced climbers. The best place to find them is by talking to and meeting people at your local gym. You will kinda have to force yourself into that talk about how they feel about mentoring someone and if they appear willing, ask them if they would be willing to mentor you. 

If you can't find a mentor or while looking for a mentor. Practice skills close to the ground with other climbing friends. It can help speed up the learning curve and make you more comfortable when you're up off the deck.

Hope this helps a little

It does help! Thanks for the response! I actually got a PM from someone who I am hoping to meet up with to climb as well. 

I am excited that the Craggin Classic is coming back to Devil's Lake again this year! Their self rescue clinic last year was awesome and this year I am going to take an into to Trad class. I think that will give me the confidence to put myself out there to follow with confidence / lead some trad routes with people. In the past it has just been so hard to lock down the inner monologue telling me I am gonna hold my group back somehow. 

Top roping this weekend at DL with a group of people went really well! Got to watch some lead gear placements and got to do some great exposure climbs by the train tracks. 

So yeah, the thread was more a generic question on where others have meet mentors in Wisconsin, but from other threads I have read it almost sounds like most people have meet their best mentors by chance. So that's my plan at the moment, just to keep showing up and climbing :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest Partners
Post a Reply to "Finding a Mentor in Wisconsin"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started