Mountain Project Logo

Map Locations only show in Thumbnail

Original Post
Gunks Jesse · · Shawangunk Township, NY · Joined May 2014 · Points: 111

On the desktop site each area has a thumbnail in the bottom left corner showing the state and pins for the specific locations of each climbing area within the state.  When I click on the map it brings up a blank map that has no information.  Very hard to plan some climbing without this feature working.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

I'm looking into this now.  A couple others have reported the blank map, but it's working fine for everyone in our office, which makes it hard to debug.

I'm running Safari web browser.  Let me remote into a Windows machine and try internet exploder

Jef Anstey · · St. John's, NL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 140

I think I have this too, except its not that the map doesn't work...it works differently

On the thumbnail map you see little orbs with numbers in them and they expand or contract when you zoom

On mine right now, when you enter the map, they all become tiny dots that can ONLY be seen when you are zoomed in close enough making it difficult to find the areas

Jef - you and I might be talking about different maps.  The map I'm referring to is visible in the bottom left corner of the "state" area.  

Follow this click pattern to recreate:

Homepage: scroll down to "Rock Climbing Guide for 164,125 route" and click on "Georgia"

On the left side of the "Georgia" page there is a list of areas.  At the bottom of the list is a thumbnail map showing the state and yellow flags at each climbing area.  Bottom of the map should say "Google Imagery 2017 Terrametrics". Click on this map.

This should take you to a page with a header saying "Rock Climbing Map of Georgia".  Zoom in, out, scroll around and nothing is shown on the map.  The little flagged points don't show up.

I went back to the homepage and zoomed in on the main map.  This function works to show circle size based on number of routes and when I hover over the circle it shows me route count.  I can click on the circle to go to the area.  That works great.  It is the maps in the specific region that aren't functioning.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

Hmm, weird.

I'm using Google Chrome in Windows 7 64-bit.

The map on the "route guide" page seems to work fine. Here it is zoomed in on Devil's Lake:

If I click on "View Full Size Map", and zoom in on the same area, I see no route info:

If I click in the "Top Destinations" drop-down, I get the "bullseye" graphic, with no other info. Here it is for Boulder Canyon:

Edit to add: After I saw Jesse's respones above, I went in through the Devil's Lake page and clicked on the map in the lower left corner. That also gives me the bullseye graphic:

I'm getting exactly the same response as Andrew in MacOS Safari and Windows Internet Explorer.  Thanks for the images Andrew.  So that's 3 web browsers with the same response.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

I found another bug, though I'm not sure this fixed it - I can't reproduce this on my computer.  Please try again and let me know.  Thanks

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

Yep:

Thanks!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Map Locations only show in Thumbnail"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started