Ptarmigan Traverse?

Original Post
Martin Mulligan · · Howell NJ · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Hi all, I'm from NJ and was looking into a backpacking and/or climbing trip in the cascades and was reading about the Ptarmigan Traverse.  I have some mountaineering and ice climbing experience in the North East but generally pretty beginner, and no experience on glaciers etc. Do have all my own gear though.  I was wondering if it would be doable in mid September with my more limited skill set or should/could I link up with someone open to doing it?     

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 87

If you have zero experience on glaciers, you may want to reconsider a route that has extensive glacier travel.

a.blair · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

Very isolated, especially with no glacier skills. I'd consider something else

Zachary Winters · · Mazama, Washington · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 28

Sounds like a perfect trip to do with a guide. Perhaps a bit out of your ability level at the moment, but it'd probably be a rewarding learning experience with some quality instruction along the way. Check out North Cascades Mountain Guides - I think they're permitted for that area (but not positive). There are several other reputable guide services in the area as well. If that isn't a possibility, I can try to make some other suggestions for trips in the Cascades.

John Godino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Hey martin, I think the comments here are fairly good ones, and that some glacier travel experience is probably needed for this trip.

One option could be that you take a one day glacier travel class from a NW guide company before your trip,  then you'll be all set to go.

If you want a free map, GPX track and Google earth KML file for this route (and more than 50 of the most popular climbs in the northwest), you can get them on on the Mazamas website. Mazamas.org > Resources > maps for climbing and hiking.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply