Lamb's Slide conditions on Longs Peak?

Original Post
Eric Forsyth · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 140

Wondering if anyone has the latest ice/snow conditions on Lamb's slide. Climbing Kiener's Route on 8/19 and want to be prepared for how hard the ice (vs. snow) may be at this point in the season. I'll have crampons and ice axe either way, but harder conditions may change footwear choices. Thanks!

garrett knorr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 55

looking for some info on this, I'm thinking of potentially skiing it. 

Andy Nelson · · Fort Collins, Colorado · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 343

You can always climb the rock to the climbers left and cross the top of LS if you feel your footwear choice is not ideal for the conditions.  If I were going up there right now I'd probably want a 3-season alpine boot that could handle firm snow/light ice and nimble enough to climb upper Kieners and hike back down. 

This is the time of year where LS starts to become black glacial ice with falling rock/debris and less ideal for a ski descent.

Andrew Hildner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 10

Did LS to Keiner's last weekend. Cloud cover overnight probably kept it soft, but was perfect skiing at around 9-9:30am when we were on it (read: soft for several inches of depth--too much later and would have been sketchy in crampons). mostly rock free, but your bases will def get scraped from all the remaining shrapnel from rock fall.   (wore strap-on crampons over Hoka's BTW, which was totally fine). 

Eric Forsyth · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 140

bump. heading up on Saturday. Anyone been up to LS this last week? Thanks!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply