Eclipse on the Grand - Parking Beta

Original Post
Charlie H. · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

The park website says there is no parking allowed prior to 6am the day of the eclipse. What are people doing to get around this? I'm sure I'm not the only one with plans to climb the grand that day... is this a stupid idea? Will there even be room on the summit?? I'm surprised there isn't more chatter on this.

DCarey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 15

I don't know the numbers for GTNP, but the forest service in Challis ID is expecting over 1,000 people to be on/around Mt. Borah at the time of the eclipse. I can't imagine the craziness that will go down in the Tetons, but I imagine it will be a gong show. My two cents, find a nice quiet place to yourself to enjoy it.  

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 210
Charlie H. wrote:

... is this a stupid idea?

Yup.

Mike Engle · · Pocatello, Idaho · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 5,629

Get someone to drop you off on Sunday and do Disappointment Peak instead.

jon jugenheimer · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,049

Climb Owen, i'll bet there will be less than 50 people there.

lalacrunk · · Moose, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 0

The Jackson area and the park are planning on having increased law enforcement, fire, and EMS presence that day. I agree with the other guy and climbing a different peak is a better option. Good luck with finding dispersed free camping on the Forest Service end also. All the normal spots that are usually "secret" have already seen a lot of use and I know people are planning on trying to claim camp spots days beforehand. Traffic between Jackson and the park also has been progressively getting worse as we get close to that time. Good luck!

Sean Peter · · IL · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 40

I think all the rangers and  police officers will be on the summit of the Grand watching the eclipse, so you should be fine parking wherever.

John Schmidt · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

It's expected to be the busiest day ever in park history. The eclipse begins around 10:15 am, totality begins at around 11:30. Parking isn't allowed until 6:30 am and you'll be competing with hundreds (thousands?) of others for it. Can you get to the top of the Grand in time? If you're set on experiencing it from that area maybe a safer bet is the saddle between the South and Middle Tetons. What you want is a good view of the west to see the shadows come across the landscape. That would be a good place, and reachable by showtime.

Charlie Parker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Charlie H. wrote:

The park website says there is no parking allowed prior to 6am the day of the eclipse. What are people doing to get around this? I'm sure I'm not the only one with plans to climb the grand that day... is this a stupid idea? Will there even be room on the summit?? I'm surprised there isn't more chatter on this.

Stupid: No one knows. But most locals would say 'yes'. Think Yellowstone & Zion with twice the people...you really want to be within 50 miles of that?

Room: Sure. Just not on the actual summit monument. 

The no parking rules: As is usually the case, the park service fails to make things clearer than mud. Not the brightest folks. Will backcountry users who are parked at trailheads before the 21st be OK? Seems so. Arrive at the trailhead at 11:50 pm on the 20th and maybe you're fine assuming there's actually parking. Unlikely. Lupine Meadows is already pretty packed on non-eclipse days. You should call them if you are actually nutty enough to visit Teton County during the week of the eclipse and need to find a parking space for backcountry adventures. 

GTNP says: if you have a backcountry permit, you can park anytime at any trailhead parking area. The rule about parking mostly relates to Official Eclipse Viewing Areas, visitor centers, major parking areas, highway pullouts, etc. It does not apply to parkig at a trailhead for people who are leaving their cars for a pre-planned backcountry trip. BUT, it's still best to CONFIRM these details because there is still some confusion among park staff members about the eclipse and how it is being managed.

More Chatter: There's plenty, locally. 

My advice: Try a peak on the western side of Jackson Lake - approach from Idaho; or, visit the Gros Ventre, Winds. etc. 

Gee Double · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 1,898

I say; go, park, don't worry about it...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply