Mountain Project Logo

Edelweiss Supereverdry vs. Everdry

Original Post
alpinejoe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I'm looking into buying an Edelweiss rope, and there have 2 types of dry coatings, their standard Everdry and their upgrade Supereverdry. They publish data of amount of water the rope absorbs as a % of rope's weight with the Supereverdry, but not the Everdry. 

Does anyone know what the difference is? Is there a functional difference between the two, or is it just marketing to get you to pay a bit more for essentially the same thing?

Thanks!

Bowens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 60

The one Edelweiss climbing rope that I ever used kinked horribly (and wouldn't stop kinking) for the first half dozen pitches (this is after flaking it several times before ever even taking it to the crag).  I returned it and never looked at Edelweiss again.  This was 6 years ago.  YMMV.

JK- · · SLC · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 58

One is a coating on the sheath, the other every strand is treated before being made into a rope. Unless you're climbing lots of ice or alpine, or other weather-mandatory situations both are probably a waste of money.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,745

If you really need a dry rope (ice or alpine use) then spring for the top-of-the-line treatment.

Tony K · · Pa · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Agree with above post .... owner of several edelweiss ropes used strictly for ice and alpine they are very stiff ropes not great for trad climbing 

for ice climbing I prefer the supereverdry 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply