Climbing in Ethiopia

Original Post
Oren · · Bronx, NY · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 0

Hey y'all,

Work is sending me to Ethiopia for 2 weeks (and probably several times as follow-up in the future); that'll be 2-3 weekends free, and I'm going to miss climbing if I can't do any out there. I don't know how developed it is out there; I'll be based in Addis, and while I don't have the space to bring my rack, I can fit in a pair of shoes and a harness and helmet and a small amount of gear.

Mountain Project was amazing with putting me in contact with climbing in Namibia, and I've done some amazing climbing out there thanks to y'all, and I'd love to repeat it in Ethiopia. Does anyone know of any climbing clubs or people living in Ethiopia that might know how to go about climbing out there? Or even if there's a climbing gym I can at least enjoy the plastic of? I may have evenings to go, and definitely weekends.

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated (as for timing, I arrive in Addis August 19th and leave to come back stateside around Sept 2nd or 3rd).

Thanks,

Oren

Hey y'all,

Ethiopia is less than a week away; any pointers on climbing out there?

Much appreciated!

builttospill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0

I've spent a little time in Addis.  Not much, so take this with a grain of salt.

There are no climbing gyms in Ethiopia, and -- as far as I know -- no climbing shops.  At best you might find a camping/outdoor shop that caters to overland travelers (Cape to Cairo) or the few safaris that operate, especially in southern Ethiopia.  

It is currently the rainy season, for what that's worth.  You can probably still get some climbing in, though, just be aware of the possibility that you'll get rained out.

Here is a little more information I stumbled across a couple months ago: https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=6712

You might contact the Mountain Club of Kenya.  They have been helpful to me in the past and there are probably members there who have done some climbing in Ethiopia.

nate post · · Silverthorne · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,409

I spent about a month in Ethiopia several years ago. I saw stuff in Northern Ethiopia that looked good but for sure it would be an adventure and you would most certainly need a rack of gear. I doubt that there is any sport routes. I remember seeing a video sometime back of some climbers in Ethiopia exploring some sandstone cracks. It looked fun but also dirty and dangerous. Good luck, it's a fun place to visit.  

nate post · · Silverthorne · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,409

Thanks y'all; it's much appreciated. I'll be reaching out to UKC and Climbing Club of Kenya and see what I can work out.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply