Edit: Want Whitney climbing permit?

Original Post
Fernando Cal · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

Last minute changes and I won't be able to make it to Whitney. I have two permits for this Thursday (august 10-13) for the North Fork Lone Pine Creek trail. I had an accident and did not recover on time for the trip, and partner had unexpected commitment come up. Message for more details. 

Edit: Permit no longer available

JaredG · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

I thought you couldn't transfer permits.  Otherwise people would gobble them up and auction them off.

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,115

Permits can not be transferred: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5150055

• Alternate leaders cannot be added or changed. Only the leader or alternate leader listed on the application can pick up or use the permit.
  • Reservations cannot be resold or transferred to other groups. 

Obtaining Your Permit:  Mt. Whitney permits are issued at the Eastern Sierra Interagency Visitor Center. Only the leader or listed alternate leader can pick up or use the permit. Show photo ID when requested. 

All one can do is cancel and tell another party about it and have them monitor the date and try to grab it when it comes back up on rec.gov.

JaredG wrote:

I thought you couldn't transfer permits.  Otherwise people would gobble them up and auction them off.

This applies to the lottery permits, this is not the typical "hiking" permit. The lottery permits cannot be transferred. The permit I have was obtained like all other permits (6 months ago) and I have the alternate leader field empty for whoever wants to take it. 

Ryan Hill · · Oakland, CA · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 0

Sent you a PM Fernando.  Ignore my question about the location, early Monday reading comprehension problems.  Definitely interested if you are able to transfer.

Permit no longer available. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply