Squamish air quality?

Original Post
wonderwoman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 64

About to board a plane from Boston.  Too late to turn back, but wondering the wildfire air quality situation.  We have 2 weeks to climb, so I am sure we have options outside of Squamish, too.  

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,500

I hear it's pretty socked in right now, but it's supposed to clear out in a couple days. Unfortunately, I think everywhere between Seattle and Whistler is pretty much the same. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

It was pretty horrible when we left yesterday.  I heard that it might clear up next week, so hopefully it will be ok before the end of your trip, but I would plan something else if you can for this weekend.  It was bad all the way from Squamish to Vancouver.

Andy Laakmann · · Bend, OR · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,805

I'm here now... its nasty, but climbing is still possible.  Just hike slow and don't breath deep :)

Thanks, folks!  It's sure to be an experience, at least!

varunr89 Ramesh · · Anaheim, California · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10

Hey wonderwoman, My wife and I are thinking of heading up to Squamish from Bellingham this weekend. How's the air quality looking? 

Downtownt Kay · · Everett, WA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 55
varunr89 Ramesh wrote:

Hey wonderwoman, My wife and I are thinking of heading up to Squamish from Bellingham this weekend. How's the air quality looking? 

I left Tuesday evening; climbing is good unless you are ultra sensitive. we still got like 25 pitches in the 4 days I was there. (was my first time there, and in a way I'm glad I have no idea that the place doesnt actually look like a suburb in New Jersey (sorry new jersey-ites). Stoked to get back sometime soon and see the actual views!

that said: the smoke is everywhere, when we drove back to Everett, Bellingham didn't look much different then the Squish.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

Don't worry...you didn't miss TOO much....:/

Ted Pinson wrote:

Don't worry...you didn't miss TOO much....:/

GODDAMMMMIT TED

WELL, looks like a rediscovery trip is in order...*oh no!* I have to go back to Squamish?!?!

We are having a blast here!  :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply