Mountain Project Logo

Skoolie camping near Estes Park

Original Post
Chris Brundige · · CHATTANOOGA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

My GF and I are planning on climbing in RMNP later this month and are looking for a place to park our bus that is free and secluded. Anyone know of any forest service sites or BLM land that would accomodate a 40ft school bus ?

Kevin Zagorda · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 600

There are 2 forest service campgrounds, Olive Ridge and Meeker, in Allenspark but I don't think they are free.  There are some roadside pullouts where I have seen vans parked overnight, but those are hardly secluded.

I looked up the fee schedule and its gonna put us way over budget. We were planning on hitting up turkey rocks and lumpys on our way to WY. Do you think we could park at The TH ?

Kevin Zagorda · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 600

The Lumpy lot is laid out for cars, the bus won't fit.  Overnight parking is not allowed there anyway.  There is a pullout about 10 minutes away on Forest Service Land where I've seen campers.  It is right off the road and hardly secluded but you could park there for the night and not get bothered.  It is a bit rough getting in and out since it is not maintained and is down off the road. No campfires. PM me if you are interested and I can tell you how to find it. You'll have to park the bus along the road by the Lumpy entrance and walk about 1/4 mile to reach the trailhead.

Todd Bruns · · Golden , Colorado · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Just an FYI.  You need at least an SUV to get to the turkey rocks trailhead. 

Todd Bruns wrote:

Just an FYI.  You need at least an SUV to get to the turkey rocks trailhead. 

what kind of ground clearance ? Our bus is 18" at its lowest point. 

jcm537 · · Broomfield, Co. · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 0

I haven't been there in a couple of years but I'm pretty sure there is no way a 40 foot school bus is gonna make it down the road to turkey rocks.

Todd Bruns · · Golden , Colorado · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0
christof wrote:

No way a bus would make it. The wheel base is way to long. 

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370
christof wrote:

LOL. Not a chance. You couldn't do it with a 20' bus.  

RE Estes: you're going to have to pay for a site, or pull off on the side of the road. Free Forrest Service/BLM camping with a 40 foot school bus is a tall order anywhere, especially Estes Park in summer.    

Keith Guillory · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 1,005

If you haven't yet, refer to the car camping around Boulder thread pinned to the top of this forum.  It's good info if not good news.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Skoolie camping near Estes Park"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started