Climbing around Charlotte, NC

Original Post
MClay · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 710

I will be traveling with the family to the Charlotte area next week and I'm curious if there is any fun, easily-accessible stuff within an hour's drive or so. Probably limited to bouldering too.

Or would it be better to just plan on hitting a gym this time of year?

Any Charlotte/southern NC beta appreciated.

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

Dixon School road boulders at Crowder’s Mountain State Park. A bit warm these days, but early morning or early evening should be bearable. 

Seth Monteleone · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 23

+1 for Dixon School road.  Hit up crowders if you can find a partner, otherwise Inner Peaks Southend is the best gym in the area.

Jim Urbec · · sevierville, TN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 25

Deep water soloing at US National Whitewater center!!!

http://usnwc.org/visit/usnwc-video/

Francesca Parratt · · England · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 85

How cold is the water in September? I've always wanted to try this but the water in England is bloody freezing!?

Jim Urbec wrote:

Deep water soloing at US National Whitewater center!!!

http://usnwc.org/visit/usnwc-video/

unemployed astronaut · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
Francesca Parratt wrote:

How cold is the water in September? I've always wanted to try this but the water in England is bloody freezing!?

The DWS is over a pool that gets direct sun most of the day, in Sept the water will be plenty warm

Francesca Parratt · · England · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 85

Awesome, I didn't realise it was a whole centre with pools and rafting and artificial walls. Looks like I know which way I'm driving throughout NC!

MClay · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 710

Thanks for the Dixon School Road recommendation. Made it out there this morning with my boy. Many of the problems/boulders we wanted to do were completely soaked but we found enough that was dry to make it a fun outing. I have a new respect for SE humidity though. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply