Priest Draw beta

Original Post
Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130

I am planning a 10-day trip to Priest Draw in the fall. Bunch of questions:

(a) Recommended places to stay? My preference would be an AirBnB or a motel, but I am not opposed to camping

(b) Best time to go? I'd rather err on the colder side (it's easier to pack a jacket vs slipping off the holds), so I was thinking November

(c) Finding partners? Local beta is usually very welcome, both in finding problems and sussing out the actual moves

(d) Renting pads? Guidebooks? 

(e) Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance, I'll owe you a beer!

Andrew Ryder · · Arizony · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 3,800

a) Camping is everywhere

b) Late September/October is better (more predictable weather)

c) There will be people around

d) Everything you'd find in a guide is on MP. Beta rents pads

e) Don't spend 10 days at the draw

Andrew Ryder wrote:

Late September/October is better (more predictable weather)

Don't spend 10 days at the draw

There will be people around

Everything you'd find in a guide is on MP

Camping is everywhere

Thanks! That was super-quick :)

-- Late September or October? What kind of conditions are we talking about? Isn't it far south and it's still going to be pretty hot?

-- Hmm. It's the limestone roofs that I am after, looks so awesome. I was going to pretend that I am working half the time (plus, I need rest days so I can try hard), so that would give me 5-6 climbing days over 10 days. Maybe 1-2 days to get used to the rock, 2-3 days to get on a bunch of mid-range problems (v5-v6 in my case) and a couple days to try hard. You think that's too much for Priest Draw alone?

-- MP area says it's 90 problems, is that all? I am extrapolating from the Gunks - there are 150 problems on MP and over 600 in the guide app. 

Andrew Ryder · · Arizony · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 3,800

PM'd with more info.

Andrew Ryder wrote:

PM'd with more info.

Dude, so cool of you! I'll buy you a beer when I am in the area!

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 85
Nivel Egres wrote:

Thanks! That was super-quick :)

-- Late September or October? What kind of conditions are we talking about? Isn't it far south and it's still going to be pretty hot?

-- Hmm. It's the limestone roofs that I am after, looks so awesome. I was going to pretend that I am working half the time (plus, I need rest days so I can try hard), so that would give me 5-6 climbing days over 10 days. Maybe 1-2 days to get used to the rock, 2-3 days to get on a bunch of mid-range problems (v5-v6 in my case) and a couple days to try hard. You think that's too much for Priest Draw alone?

-- MP area says it's 90 problems, is that all? I am extrapolating from the Gunks - there are 150 problems on MP and over 600 in the guide app. 

I spent almost 4 weeks there and loved every day. 10 days is not too much. There are about 120 problems. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply