Priest Draw beta

Original Post
Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 50

I am planning a 10-day trip to Priest Draw in the fall. Bunch of questions:

(a) Recommended places to stay? My preference would be an AirBnB or a motel, but I am not opposed to camping

(b) Best time to go? I'd rather err on the colder side (it's easier to pack a jacket vs slipping off the holds), so I was thinking November

(c) Finding partners? Local beta is usually very welcome, both in finding problems and sussing out the actual moves

(d) Renting pads? Guidebooks? 

(e) Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance, I'll owe you a beer!

Andrew Ryder · · Flagstaff · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 3,655

a) Camping is everywhere

b) Late September/October is better (more predictable weather)

c) There will be people around

d) Everything you'd find in a guide is on MP. Beta rents pads

e) Don't spend 10 days at the draw

Andrew Ryder wrote:

Late September/October is better (more predictable weather)

Don't spend 10 days at the draw

There will be people around

Everything you'd find in a guide is on MP

Camping is everywhere

Thanks! That was super-quick :)

-- Late September or October? What kind of conditions are we talking about? Isn't it far south and it's still going to be pretty hot?

-- Hmm. It's the limestone roofs that I am after, looks so awesome. I was going to pretend that I am working half the time (plus, I need rest days so I can try hard), so that would give me 5-6 climbing days over 10 days. Maybe 1-2 days to get used to the rock, 2-3 days to get on a bunch of mid-range problems (v5-v6 in my case) and a couple days to try hard. You think that's too much for Priest Draw alone?

-- MP area says it's 90 problems, is that all? I am extrapolating from the Gunks - there are 150 problems on MP and over 600 in the guide app. 

Andrew Ryder · · Flagstaff · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 3,655

PM'd with more info.

Andrew Ryder wrote:

PM'd with more info.

Dude, so cool of you! I'll buy you a beer when I am in the area!

Tim Lutz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 0
Nivel Egres wrote:

Thanks! That was super-quick :)

-- Late September or October? What kind of conditions are we talking about? Isn't it far south and it's still going to be pretty hot?

south but relatively high elevation to southern AZ.  November is cold wind ad probably snow.  Should be quite nice there this month if not raining.

camping/sleeping in your car is cheapest route, and the camping is quite good esp for being free.. Starbucks and Whole foods are 12-15 minutes away

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply