Partner Tick Marks

Original Post
Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

Spawned from the idea of "Endorse or verify people on MP", partner tick marks might be a nice feature to add to MP. Partner tick marks will list (after "ticked") all the MP based partners a climber has climbed with. No stars, no comments, no endorsement and do your own verification. A simple list of partners one has climbed with. Only a name, which links to their profile. 

And just like everything else on MP, we'll have to trust they actually climbed with those people. If people need more verification they can PM the partners (a climber's "ticks") on their own.

It's another data point for people to do their own vetting of climbers. Have they climbed what they say they've climbed? Are they AAC and AF donators? How many points do they have? Do they use a real name and have what looks like a real profile pic? How many posts do they have? How many routes have they added? So on and so forth. All things which can be used to by the community at large to do their own verification of people on MP. 

The other idea sounds like a problematic feature request, as many have noted in the above thread. This new idea is much simpler and removes some of the issues the other idea raises. It allows people to do their own vetting and removes any of the headaches admins might have experienced with the Endorse/Verify idea etc.

A middle ground of sorts?

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 650

What happened to meeting for a day at the crag to "vet" someone? If you aren't feeling it, you can always top rope... or go home.

Robert Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 116

It's already possible to do this. Under "More information" on your profile page, you can simply add something like "MP members I've climbed with:" and then create/build your list. The only real difference is that the names wouldn't work as links.

Nick Sweeney wrote:

What happened to meeting for a day at the crag to "vet" someone? If you aren't feeling it, you can always top rope... or go home.

Welcome to the digital age, my friend. And sure, that's one option; that still exists. Having more/other options to "vet" people isn't a bad thing though, is it?

It's optional. I know crazy awesome climbers, good people, who have zero information on MP. They do fine without all this crap. But then there are others who may appreciate it. It's all optional and to each their own, of course. Use it if you want or don't. Vet with it or without. No skin off anyone's back.

It would be super easy to implement (I can say that as a web developer.) Will it get used? I don't know, we'd have to try it to find out. Do I think MP should add it? Whatever, it's just an idea I had after reading that other thread. But, people are asking for something and others are already doing what I'm suggesting but, in their profile. 

Robert Michael wrote:

It's already possible to do this. Under "More information" on your profile page, you can simply add something like "MP members I've climbed with:" and then create/build your list. The only real difference is that the names wouldn't work as links.

Sure. That's what Spencer is doing, but why make it hard on them? Make it user-friendly, that's what programming is for. That's all.

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348

You cannot honestly judge someone by their profile. Anyone can lie about what they have climbed. Donating to organizations does not make you a trustworthy climber.

Points mean nothing. Name and photo mean nothing although I wish everyone would post that info up. Post count means nothing. How many routes they have added means nothing. With the exception of your photo which may be you or may not according to any of these parameters you would not make a good partner.

You do not donate, have no points, have not added any routes that were not simply repeats of other routes. 

s.price wrote:

You cannot honestly judge someone by their profile. Anyone can lie about what they have climbed. Donating to organizations does not make you a trustworthy climber.

Points mean nothing. Name and photo mean nothing although I wish everyone would post that info up. Post count means nothing. How many routes they have added means nothing. With the exception of your photo which may be you or may not according to any of these parameters you would not make a good partner.

You're right, like all those things, Partner Ticks Marks means nothing too. Or it means a lot. That's for everyone to decide on their own. Should we get rid of profiles altogether because, at the end of the day, it doesn't give us an exact picture of each person? No. Let's try not to throw the baby out with the bath water here.

Like all those other things, this isn't the end all, be all, of "vetting" systems. It's just one more point, added up together, that can give people reassurance, albeit possibly a false one, that the person they are about to climb with is "legit" to some degree or another.

Of course, the real vetting should still occur beforehand over the phone, for example, and then at the crag itself. And if all goes well for 3 trips the 4th could still end in hating the person because you found out they're a Liberal/Conservative or whatever. And this no matter how much, or little, they have on their profile. Again, it's just one more point of data that could be added to what's already there and this for better or worse.

You do not donate, have no points, have not added any routes that were not simply repeats of other routes. 

True. And I assume I'm being judged accordingly. I have climbed with a bunch of climbers from MP, however. 

I am not saying your idea does not have merit, just that what you listed as ways to judge someone are flawed.

I don't use partner finder as I have never had a problem with having partners. I can't even understand why many find it difficult to find partners.

s.price wrote:

I am not saying your idea does not have merit, just that what you listed as ways to judge someone are flawed.

I don't use partner finder as I have never had a problem with having partners. I can't even understand why many find it difficult to find partners.

My profile lacking logos, routes added and points etc. hasn't stopped me from finding good partners to climb with either. Shoot, I've even sold some gear here before and this right when I got on the site. With that said, I realize I'm asking for something that I'm not sure I even personally need. But it sounds like others may find it useful. At least that is the impression I had from the original thread and why I brought it up. Anyway, I digress at this point.

Tim Meehan · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 260

Sure, there are ways to game any feature. But overall, assuming it's not too hard to program, I like your idea, Nate. In addition to considering potential partners, it'd be fun to look at climber networks. How many degrees of separation are between you and another climber?  Sounds entertaining when the weather prevents real climbing.

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 265
s.price wrote:

I don't know why it is so hard, but I have been on both ends of it. I have been the only one to respond to "in town X day only" requests, and have had posts in for ongoing partners for myself for two plus years, bumped now and then with not much for results. Quite a lot of partner requests go completely unanswered, at least on line.

Vetting partners, do that on your own.

A tick for partners as part of a tick on a climb? I'm okay with, because climbing with folks from here have been some of my most memorable outings.

But, many of the people I climb with are not part of MP, gasp, and others I would leave their privacy intact, so it still isn't going to give you much information.

Talking to people is my go to, and, more than a few of you have a pretty good idea of who I am based on our long distance friendships.

Including a Nate or two. :-)

You jerks just need to haul your sorry asses to Boise so we can climb together!

Best, Helen

Nate Doyle wrote:

My profile lacking logos, routes added and points etc. hasn't stopped me from finding good partners to climb with either. Shoot, I've even sold some gear here before and this right when I got on the site. With that said, I realize I'm asking for something that I'm not sure I even personally need. But it sounds like others may find it useful. At least that is the impression I had from the original thread and why I brought it up. Anyway, I digress at this point.

It does seem others would like a feature like this and I am glad finding partners on MP has worked out well for you. If such a feature is implemented hopefully it will lead to more positive experiences for everyone.

Old lady H wrote:

I don't know why it is so hard, but I have been on both ends of it. I have been the only one to respond to "in town X day only" requests, and have had posts in for ongoing partners for myself for two plus years, bumped now and then with not much for results. Quite a lot of partner requests go completely unanswered, at least on line.

Vetting partners, do that on your own.

A tick for partners as part of a tick on a climb? I'm okay with, because climbing with folks from here have been some of my most memorable outings.

But, many of the people I climb with are not part of MP, gasp, and others I would leave their privacy intact, so it still isn't going to give you much information.

Talking to people is my go to, and, more than a few of you have a pretty good idea of who I am based on our long distance friendships.

Including a Nate or two. :-)

You jerks just need to haul your sorry asses to Boise so we can climb together!

Best, Helen

Helen, This jerk and SOH may be up in Cascade this fall.  Let's climb if we make it up there. Steve

s.price wrote:

Helen, This jerk and SOH may be up in Cascade this fall.  Let's climb  if we make it up there. Steve

My standard disclaimer: 

I am as advertised, but if an old lady belayer will do, and you're feeling brave....

I would love to meet you! Keep me posted. 

Give 2row a chin scratch from me.

Best, Helen

As you are advertised is why I said lets climb together. I think we would make great partners. I have been accused of being too brave :) Solo a route or two and some think more of you than they should.

2Row says thanks for the scratch and did her first three 14er's a few days ago. 1/2 ton of energy in a 35 lb. package. She'll be with us so I hope your crags are dog friendly. She will not step on the rope, bark or harass anyone. She will expect more scratching and may give you a lick or two. 

John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,053
s.price wrote:

Helen, This jerk and SOH may be up in Cascade this fall.  Let's climb if we make it up there. Steve

What the heck is a SOH?............ ;)

John Barritt wrote:

What the heck is a SOH?............ ;)

Speaker of the House, aka the wife. In my case it could also be Significant other Holly.

Ahhh........thought it was a typo ;) In this thread people want ticks.......in the other one they don't. 

Go figure, JB

s.price wrote:

As you are advertised is why I said lets climb together. I think we would make great partners. I have been accused of being too brave :) Solo a route or two and some think more of you than they should.

2Row says thanks for the scratch and did her first three 14er's a few days ago. 1/2 ton of energy in a 35 lb. package. She'll be with us so I hope your crags are dog friendly. She will not step on the rope, bark or harass anyone. She will expect more scratching and may give you a lick or two. 

After you two climb make sure you Partner Tick Mark ;-)

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 277
John Barritt wrote:

Ahhh........thought it was a typo ;) In this thread people want ticks.......in the other one they don't. 

Go figure, JB

That's a good point... does permethrin prevent partner ticks as well?  ;)

Andrew Krajnik wrote:

That's a good point... does permethrin prevent partner ticks as well?  ;)

Possibly, I'm getting a jug of it to use on cats.......... ;)

Nate Doyle wrote:

After you two climb make sure you Partner Tick Mark ;-)

I dunno, I think partner tick checks could be a lot more fun...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply