Eating Behavior of Adult Rock Climbers Survey 2017

Original Post
Louis Rumanes · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 0

A collaborative research survey is at this link: Eating Behavior of Adult Rock Climbers Survey 2017

We are reaching out to you in hopes that you will please share widely and consider completing it yourself if you actively climb!  We plan to share the results of this survey at the 4th IRCRA Congress in July 2018, Chamonix.

Thank you sincerely,

Gina Gonzalez - Morehead State University (Kentucky USA)

Abigail Larson - Southern Utah University (Utah USA)

Lanae Joubert - Northern Michigan University (Michigan USA)

Russ Keane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 140

I took the survey.  Pretty confused what you are trying to research.  I found the survey kind of annoying and difficult to engage with.   I was lost and bored.   All these questions about eating disorders and binges and body image, combined with rock climbing styles and accumen. Huh?  Here's an example of a strange question because it forces the participant to interpret the research goals without knowing what those are.  

"Perhaps you consider yourself a runner or a gymnast and just rock climb on the side for fun.  Or maybe you do several different types of activities and don't refer to yourself as any specific type of athlete. This type of information would be important to share with us.  This space if provided for you to tell us more about your regular exercise routine within the past 3 months, which you feel has not been captured in the previous questions.
Please tell us more about your training and/or rock climbing abilities you feel are important for the researchers to know:"

Austin Lynch · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2013 · Points: 165

Survey was easy to understand and complete. Good luck with your research!

ErikaNW · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 145

Very nicely constructed survey - clear and easy to understand. Would you be willing to post your abstract here when you present findings? Thanks!

Dylan B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 938

the survey was fine. I thought it captured my climbing habits and abilities adequately. The narrative box I think helped give an opportunity to clarify any ambiguities in my answers about exercise.

However, the eating questions didn´t capture my attitude towards food very well. I eat indiscriminately. I consider myself a little more pudgy than I´d like. I ¨think about¨ loosing weight, but only casually and half heartedly. I ¨think about¨ food a lot and a ¨feel like it controls my life¨ because I eat a lot and like to eat. But my guess is the questions were contemplating people for whom these are symptoms of an eating disorder. I think a narrative box to describe our relationship with food and clarify some of these ambiguities should have been included. 

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,045

I had no issue with the survey.  I think it's probably more helpful if you don't try to guess the purpose of the study and just try to be as honest as possible.  

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,740

The intro points out that this work is in part motivated by climbing becoming an Olympic sport.  I have to wonder how relevant a bunch of mp'ers are to Olympic-caliber climbers when it comes to disordered and/or obsessive eating patterns.  But I took the survey anyhoo.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply