Mountain Project Logo

Anyone Use Permathrin (Sawyer Stuff)

Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Sawyer permethrin is outstanding.  At least they spray bottle form.  I worked out in the jersey pine barrens for 2 years, doing a ton of field work.  My first week I found 3 ticks on me.  After I started applying permethrin, I never found another one dead or alive.  

It wont stain any types of fabric (I've used it on cotton, silk, polyester and rayon).  I apply a generous amount to my hiking boots, socks, and pants.  Then a quick spray on shirts to protect from ticks that fall off birds in trees.  It kills ticks after crawling within 10" of applied fabric.  .  

Having done environmental chemistry studies, though, I'd also have to recommend bifenthrin.  It's longer lasting, but needs much more care when applied.  You can usually find it at Home Depot or other garden/hardware shop.  

Permethrin will break down really quickly in water, but is a severe aquatic toxin.  Don't spray it near water or after it rains.  Bifenthrin, on the other hand, is extremely stable, and won't readily break down in soil or water.  Don't spray it near a garden. It will bind to the ground and the plants.  

Both are pyrethoids, so the same issues with exposure to cats is present

Emmett Lyman · · Stoneham, MA (Boston burbs) · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 480

I used it on all my clothes a few years ago for a Long Trail thru hike and had very few problems with bugs. Granted I did the hike post- black fly season...

richardd · · Loveland, CO · Joined May 2012 · Points: 10

Permethrin's good stuff, and I use the Herbal Armor spray on exposed skin. If you are sitting around, I can also vouch for those cheap Parodi cigars...even the bugs can't stand the smoke.

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469
wivanoff wrote:

I read through that link and did not see your quote. And the only reference to seizures was in cats. Where did you see what you "quoted"?

I did see: "Permethrin may also be used in places where food is handled, such as restaurants...Permethrin is more toxic to insects than it is to people and dogs...."

I've used the Sawyer product and found it effective. I guess you have to weigh the possible side effects of Permathrin exposure against the effects of Lyme disease or other tick-borne illness. I've read somewhere that Permathrin can be used directly on the body for lice/scabies. I'm comfortable using it on clothing, tents, etc.

I went to Marc's link then hit the link for "Permethrin Overview".  That's where the quote came from.  http://npic.orst.edu/ingred/permethrin.html

I meant to say that it kills insects by seizure.

Jim Urbec · · Sevierville, TN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 56
Roman G wrote:
( I once woke up one morning in a tent as first light came up, opened my eyes and looked straight up. My entire roof of a tent was covered in ticks. I set the tent on fire with the sleeping bag and all the crap still inside)

quote of the year!!!!!!

We were always handed permathrin in the Army both the liquid kit to treat one uniform or spray can to do same... But always remember the comments the Group Surgeon said: keep the liquid away from your skin unless you want your dick to fall off.....

Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Skin contact with permethrin won't hurt you.  It will just be useless as the oils in your skin will begin to break it down instantly.  There's just no reason to spray it on yourself.  Plus it can be a mild irritant and do harm to the eyes

Ed Schaefer · · Centennial, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 35

I've done the spray bottles before and it works fine, but doesn't last very long. I am planning on sending some clothes in to Insect Shield to have them do the commercial treatment. It costs the same as maybe 4 bottles of the Sawyer spray, but lasts something like 60 washes and is supposed to be more effective than the home applied spray. I figure I'll give it a shot and see if it's worth the extra cost or if doing it at home is good enough.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

we have been climbing a bit in a tick infested area this last fall and spring.  we tried the permathrin spray on a set of clothes and a shirt for the dog.  it works really well.  every once in a while we will have a tick or two on us (but not nearly as many as when we didn't use it), but nothing has latched on.

Devan Squires · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0
Marc801 C wrote:

Ultrathon is merely DEET in a slow evaporating solution.

For sure it is, but I've used 100% DEET with terrible results and a terrible smell and taste. I would much rather apply 34% DEET once a day and actually have it be effective instead of a higher concentration every few hours. To anyone who hasn't had success with other DEET products, I would encourage to try the Ultrathon lotion.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Devan Squires wrote: ...but I've used 100% DEET with terrible results and a terrible smell and taste.

100% DEET is odorless. And what did you do to taste it?

Will S · · Joshua Tree · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,061
Marc801 C wrote:

100% DEET is odorless. And what did you do to taste it?

I don't think you can find true 100% on the consumer market. Ben's 100 Max, which is probably the most popular version claiming to be pure DEET, is only 98%. No fragrance, but whatever filler they use to slow evaporation does seem to have a noticeable smell.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
Will S wrote:

I don't think you can find true 100% on the consumer market. Ben's 100 Max, which is probably the most popular version claiming to be pure DEET, is only 98%. No fragrance, but whatever filler they use to slow evaporation does seem to have a noticeable smell.

Life systems claims that they have a 100% DEET spay.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Anyone Use Permathrin (Sawyer Stuff)"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started