Stolen / lost gear at Smith Rock

Original Post
Daniel Ragsdale · · Portland, OR · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 60

Hi. I came back to my campsite in the Smith bivy and found that all of my stuff was gone. I had a black duffel bag and a greyish-green roll-up thermarest. It was not in a tent.

There is a lot of clothes in the bag, an ice axe, crampons, boots, as well as some other misc gear.

If you find anything, pm me or text me at 971-295-6942

Thanks a bunch!

Jack ClimbsRocks · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Gear thieves are the worst. Metolius Shawn strikes again? 

Shelton Hatfield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 585
Jack ClimbsRocks wrote:

Gear thieves are the worst. Metolius Shawn strikes again? 

Wow. Did you join MP just to anonymously and erroneously implicate someone in a crime? Lame

Daniel, I hope your gear turns up.

Jon Rhoderick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 850

Hi Shelton!

In anonymous' defense, this specific person has been slicing and stealing slack lines in the Bivy this year, but may have fled. It's likely that amother person is stealing stuff as well. 

Jack ClimbsRocks · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0
Shelton Hatfield wrote:

Wow. Did you join MP just to anonymously and erroneously implicate someone in a crime? Lame

Daniel, I hope your gear turns up.

I see where you're coming from and respect your oppinion. Thanks for sharing. I feel posing a question however is not asserting a fact true or not.

There is a long term pattern though so I feel like it's good to just keep an eye out. Hopefully the truth reveals itself one way or another and the gear is returned. Peace. 

Shelton Hatfield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 585

Hey Jon, thanks for the reply. I appreciate yours as well, Jack.  I agree that posing a question is not an assertion of fact, but I saw your question as being aimed to vilify a person unnecessarily. But what I may view as unnecessary can of course be viewed by someone else as worthwhile. 

I'm not going to pretend like I understand the current happenings of the bivy, but I'm certainly interested. Jon, care to elaborate on the sliced and stolen lines? When you say "in the Bivy", do you mean in the longline field? Is there a resource or previously held online discussion that you could point me towards? Thanks

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply