Ten Sleep for the Eclipse?


Original Post
Jess · · Los Angeles, Ca. · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 5

Hello! I'm heading up to Ten Sleep the weekend of the eclipse, then staying for about a week and a half.  Now, I know the actual thing is coolest from, like, an hour south, but I was wondering who else has the same idea.

I'm bringing extra gasoline and non-perishables, as I'm pretty positive every gas station and grocery store will run out of stock.  I'm just gonna camp on BLM land.

What else are you taking into consideration? Slash wanna link up and climb?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
DharmaRat wrote:

I'm bringing extra gasoline and non-perishables, as I'm pretty positive every gas station and grocery store will run out of stock.  I'm just gonna camp on BLM land.

What else are you taking into consideration? 

In a news story last night, the suggestions also included paper maps and actual cash. The expectation is that cellular and ATM networks will go down due to overload. It also mentioned the possibility / likelihood of ATMs running out of cash.

Michael Holland · · Teton Village, WY · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 5

I think you're on to something dharmarat! i doubt it will get too, too crowded up in the tensleep area, but you never know. I'll be in Jackson around that time and I'm curious what I'm doing with my time during the week of the eclipse as well... Possible ideas I had: to chill out at the rock springs buttress and climb and camp there for a few days, or else get far into the winds, or else spend the day running the teton crest trail from the tram at the top of jackson hole to a parked car in idaho... but if it looks like tensleep for me, i'll hit you up!

MH

Lena chita · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 240

I don't know if you saw it, the Ten Sleep Brewery is opening up their entire field for campers, the week of the eclipse. 

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

Christ...that sounds awful. We'll be there to climb, not coordinating around the eclipse. I thought that being north of totality and north of any major metro areas/corridors that it wouldn't be so bad. Guess I was wrong. 

Lena chita · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 240

Well, if you are into the "party scene", it might be actually a lot of fun... And the Brewery folks are so nice, if they get a little extra money out of this thing, good for them!

But yeah. I think if I were in Ten Sleep for the eclipse, I would have been trying to stay away from the crowds.

Jason Young · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 1,340

Hey All,

I'll be here, and could use a partner during that time.   Look for a big white camper van with NM plates.  I'll be camped near the top of the old highway on the left as you're headed down it.

Jason

(505) 412-2991

Jess · · Los Angeles, Ca. · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 5
Michael Holland wrote:

I think you're on to something dharmarat! i doubt it will get too, too crowded up in the tensleep area, but you never know. I'll be in Jackson around that time and I'm curious what I'm doing with my time during the week of the eclipse as well... Possible ideas I had: to chill out at the rock springs buttress and climb and camp there for a few days, or else get far into the winds, or else spend the day running the teton crest trail from the tram at the top of jackson hole to a parked car in idaho... but if it looks like tensleep for me, i'll hit you up!

MH

Yeah come climb! 

Jess · · Los Angeles, Ca. · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 5
Jason Young wrote:

Hey All,

I'll be here, and could use a partner during that time.   Look for a big white camper van with NM plates.  I'll be camped near the top of the old highway on the left as you're headed down it.

Jason

(505) 412-2991

Cool jason! Texting you in a minute. We have a black Subaru and a brindle dog. 

Jess · · Los Angeles, Ca. · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 5
the schmuck wrote:

Christ...that sounds awful. We'll be there to climb, not coordinating around the eclipse. I thought that being north of totality and north of any major metro areas/corridors that it wouldn't be so bad. Guess I was wrong. 

From what I understand, a lot of people wanna see the sky do a cool thing and also wanna climb cool things, so we're killing two birds with one eclipse. I don't like crowds either but this is a once in a forty-year type thing, so I'm not tripping. 

Jess · · Los Angeles, Ca. · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 5
Lena chita wrote:

Well, if you are into the "party scene", it might be actually a lot of fun... And the Brewery folks are so nice, if they get a little extra money out of this thing, good for them!

But yeah. I think if I were in Ten Sleep for the eclipse, I would have been trying to stay away from the crowds.

I read a pretty interesting article about how small town America is capitalizing on this eclipse and honestly? Good for them? Get that cheddar, little America. 

Will definitely check out the brewery. I like the quiet of BLM land but quiet doesn't seem in the stars for this trip, so it could be worth it to give in and go get weird somewhere. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply