Pop Quiz: Name this crag in NY

Original Post
Kyle vH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 18

I'm looking for a crag that's right on Lake Champlain in NY State. You've got to walk along train tracks to get there, short approach. There's a lovely 5.10/9+ handcrack (trad), and an adventurous 5.8 (trad) that is literally over the water. I think the 5.10 had a name that referenced water or wind or sailing?

Climbed each of the routes a decade ago while in college and trying to remember them. The crag is within an hour or so of the lake champlain bridge near port henry. 

Derek Doucet · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 53
Kyle vH wrote:

I'm looking for a crag that's right on Lake Champlain in NY State. You've got to walk along train tracks to get there, short approach. There's a lovely 5.10/9+ handcrack (trad), and an adventurous 5.8 (trad) that is literally over the water. I think the 5.10 had a name that referenced water or wind or sailing?

Climbed each of the routes a decade ago while in college and trying to remember them. The crag is within an hour or so of the lake champlain bridge near port henry. 

Willsboro Bay. The handcrack is Windjammer. And yes, there are access issues, at least if you approach by land. It may be legit to climb there if you approach by boat, but that's pure speculation. I haven't been there in 15+ years. 

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Isa and I were climbing there about 18 years ago and the RR workers came through doing construction. we were hideing from them but they were operateing an excavator on RR tracks above us and could easily have  dumped a bucket of stone on us.  scary  as heck. we ended up hitching a ride back to our Van on a boat and never going back..... Boaters gave me a cold beer :)

Kyle vH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 18

Thanks Derek--it is Windjammer. I went to College at Midd (05), and we met up one time at Poke-o-Moonshine and you recommended routes at Bolton and Smugg's back in the day.  

Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 549

Climbed there maybe 1995? 

Really a nice crag, very scenic.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

I remember all the routs were gritty with debris from the trains. super cool spot though if it was legal and the train a bit farther from your head......

Derek Doucet · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 53
Kyle vH wrote:

Thanks Derek--it is Windjammer. I went to College at Midd (05), and we met up one time at Poke-o-Moonshine and you recommended routes at Bolton and Smugg's back in the day.  

Hey Kyle, yes, I remember you! Hope all is well!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply