Mountain Project Logo

One or two ropes for Squamish?

Original Post
Bob Johnson · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 98

Making my first trip out to Squamish tomorrow. It seems like a lot of the routes have walk-off descents. For rappelling, in general, is a single rope sufficient? How often do you tag a second line for rappelling? I understand there will be circumstances where double rope rappels are required, but if that's more the exception than the rule, then I'll probably only pack a single rope.

David.Jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 10

one rope raps are the usual norm

Christopher Woodall · · Somerville, MA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 138

The piece of wisdom I picked up from my last time at Squamish was that double ropes are not necessary, but might be useful if you want to be able to easily bail from any section of the Chief. The downside is you have to mess around with two ropes, maybe making bailing more likely anyway...

I found my 70m rope to be somewhat useful a couple of times, but it definitely wasn't necessary.

Bill Lawry · · New Mexico · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,523

For what ever its worth, there is a four-rap descent off The Apron of The Chief that goes with a 60m rope and just a little care.  We did it several times a few weeks ago.

I don't recall ever getting out the doubles while at Squamish for five days of climbing.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

Just wrapped up a month in Squamish and never broke out my tag line. We did use a 70 now and then, but you can get away with a 60 pretty easily 95% of the time. 

Bob Johnson · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 98

Ok thanks everyone. I'm bringing a single 70 m!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply