Mountain Project Logo

Climbing in Virgin Gorda

Original Post
Elisabeth Blum · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 30

I'm heading with a group to Virgin Gorda in early October for a little bit of relaxation and a bit of bouldering. 

We're not staying at Guavaberry Spring Bay but in a rental house very close by. Any suggestions on how to rent crash pads and the ferry situation? Planning on flying into St. Thomas and taking the ferry over but flight times aren't a great match for the ferry times. Has anyone traveled there and have suggestions?

Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35

I would recommend you stay your first night in St. Thomas and ferry the next day, and you may want to book your last night in St. Thomas on the way back.  The ferries don't exactly run 100% on schedule, and everyone runs on island time.  The ferries were mostly on time getting to St. Thomas for us, but we hit a 2-1/2 hour delay coming back.  Coming in from the states you risk missing the connection in Road Town where you would then have to spend the night.  We figured might as well stay at a nice place of our choosing and not deal with the stress of rushing but that is the pricier option.  Coming back you have to go through customs off the boat getting back into St. Thomas and you also have to go through customs (AGAIN!?!) to get through the airport so add some time for that as well.  Having said that if you have a late afternoon or early evening flight you can reasonably make it to the airport from Virgin Gorda in the same day but take the first ferry out.  We took the 8AM ferry out of Virgin Gorda and walked up to our gate about 2:45PM if I remember right.  

For pad rental I would send an e-mail to the Guavaberry Resort and just ask if you can rent their pads.  Guavaberry is run by a couple of extremely nice ladies and I'm pretty sure they would work with you.  Its a real friendly, everyone knows and supports everyone type of community so I don't think they would hold it against you that you aren't staying there.  If not you could reach out to the guide book authors.  I don't know about facebook but they are somewhat active on Instagram and they may have some good inside information.

Elisabeth Blum · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 30

Mike- that's insanely helpful, thank you! Assume you loved your visit?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Climbing in Virgin Gorda"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started