Mountain Project Logo

Beers for climbing partner on a Moab tower :) (Jul 30 or 31)

Original Post
Nicolas Hoffmann · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Hey folks,

I need your help: after 5 days in Moab I have still not managed to find someone psyched to climb a tower. I realize it's not the best time of the year plus it rained, but still seems awefully quiet here right now. 

Was thinking about Kor/Ingalls on Castleton, tmr or Monday morning (if it has dried thoroughly, of course - which it hopefully has given afternoon sun exposure).

So in order to prevent me from going home without seeing any tower from up top, am throwing in beers to cool off after the climb. ;)

Have 10yrs of climbing exp and all the gear we might need.

Thanks and all the best,

Nico

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

All of the towers are on public land. Thus you need to hire a guide with a permit. Otherwise you are asking for someone to illegally guide you. Not cool.

Joe Auer · · Utah · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 375
Allen Sanderson wrote:

All of the towers are on public land. Thus you need to hire a guide with a permit. Otherwise you are asking for someone to illegally guide you. Not cool.

he's offering to pay someone to climb a tower with him, not "guide him illegally". calm your tits.

Joe feel free to talk out yer butt. The bottomline is that even paying someone to climb with you (a service) is considered to be outfitter/guiding without a special use permit. If you do not believe me head into the headquarters there in Moab and ask the Chief Ranger.

That said my post was really a fair warning to the OP and someone thinking of taking them up on their offer. 

well then mr. sanderson it's a good thing rules like this exist to keep us safe.

hey nicolas i'll climb with you for $$$. i'll undercut all the local guidebros, name your price. i live in castle valley and idgaf about rangers or special use permits. i'll even let you lead all the pitches :D

Derrick Peppers · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 1,296

Joe,

This must be a soft spot for you as your response seems a little aggressive but I get that there is a desire to maintain respectful relations with the land owners to users however in some cases you have to remind ourselves how up tight we are getting over things so trivial. Relax and remember that this is rock climbing. We aren't curing cancer and a little exchange of money for a climbing partner when your trip is almost over isn't a matter of let's call the cops and have em put away for life type situation. Chill out and remember that we are climbers. One of the things I love about climbers is the chill factor. Cheers guys and hope you find your partner friend:)

maybe the barter system is a more appropriate method for this scenario

S2k4 MattOates · · Kremmling, CO · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 126

Who cares or who has to know about the money 

edward pinskey · · Bethlehem NH · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 727

wow what an aggressive thread. Allen maybe informing people rather then jumping down folks throat would be a better approach...  Nickolas i wish i had the time to come out there and climb some towers with ya. If you find yourself in St. George area hit me up.  

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

In my opinion, Allen's original post did just notify and was not aggressive. I don't think he "jumped down" anybody's throat in his first post. 

Carry on.

Nicolas ... meet Chelsea : https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/113407274/partner-needed-for-arches-area-731-or-801

After climbing be a gentlemen and buy her dinner ...

dammit allen would you please knock it off i'm trying to turn a quick buck here and you're queering the deal for me

Chelsea Byrd · · CT · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Ha Joe no worries, you can still stick the deal. Maybe he'll even buy you dinner ;) I think I'm actually going to stay and climb in Ouray today and tomorrow. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Utah Partners
Post a Reply to "Beers for climbing partner on a Moab tower :) (…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started