Camping at the gunks

Original Post
Roodbass · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 85

Looking for places to car camp near the gunks tonight. What are your recommendations? Thanks!

S2k4life · · beaver creek, CO · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 0

No where allows it but you can try and get away with it anywhere, my last climbibg partner in.may just slept in his car in a neighborhood in New paltz, the grocery or or McDonald's or bk could also prolly work,  the restaurant at the intersection, as long as your incospicoious and especially if you pull in late at night and leave early in the am, your more likely to get away with it, 

Well thannks for bringing you 2 negitive sense about gunks ms proper employee ,happie girl just the reg party pooper,,

Hey my partner paid good money to stay there when I was there with him

And we paid good money just to climb.... waaat

Happiegrrrl · · Gunks · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 0
cobrawrestlr5 wrote:

....there s two extra parking spots in the American alpine club camping area way in the back just 2miles from the gunks parking areas I've left my car their before with no problem granite I was just in my tent couple hundred yards away on my friends site but I've went their and chilled for a while....  

I think the space you refer to is the end of the campground drive, which people would use to turn their cars around. I could be wrong, as I have only been in the campground once, before it was open.  Nonetheless, if one is going to park in supposed "extra spaces" in the campground, those spaces would be intended for paying campers. 

Unfortunately, I can't really offer suggestions about the area, due to my being a Mohonk Preserve employee, but when I travel crss country for winter, I pretty much always park at a Walmart lot for sleeping. Everyone has different needs, but for me - I use a local park to make my dinner and walk my dog, and if need be I use wifi at a library or coffee shop if there's one convenient.  The W/M lot is just to sleep in, and unless one is just very sensitive to light/sound, actually not bad at all. I've stayed in Casa de Walmartin hundreds of places over the last few years.

There is a Walmart on hwy 208, north of Ellenville. The "Gunks" are on 44/55.  Head west on 44/55 to the end, at 209.  Turn left(south) and drive somewhere around 5 miles.

Further south by a few miles is a Shop Rite grocery store with a decent pizza place in the same shopping area, and a chines restaurant. There is a library in Ellenville with good wifi/seating/electric, and also a McDonalds for wifi as well.

Hey my partner payed good money to stay there aand we paid to climb,,,,,,and id tell that to any ranger or snobby mohonk peeserve employee to take tbat to the bank .   ..mDnt get botthered i said ur at ur own risk trying to get away with now a days considered stealing thanks for reminding me hapiegirl not to blow spots up. Absolutely pushing the limits of the local pd and ranger, push the status quo  oooorrr pay 20 bucks for a real campsite with electric and shower

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
cobrawrestlr5 wrote:

... oooorrr pay 20 bucks for a real campsite with electric and shower

Are there really any campgrounds that cheap anymore around the Gunks? Last I heard the commercial ones were between $35 - $65 / night.

Yea clear creek back towards new paltz left on 32 like 6 miles to Rosedale clear creek with the old funny guy, beautiful spot, showers bathroom, electric 20 buks

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply