Mountain Project Logo

packable multipitch backpacks?

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

TUFA Mochila is unstoppable.

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,723

If you get a pack that's less than 18L it's a good idea to get one with a sewn daisy chain. that makes a huge difference IMO. a lot of times I can use my 16 or 18 on the approach too if I can strap down a few things to the outside.

Chris Reyes · · Seattle, WA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 40

I'll throw in a vote for the Linked 16L http://www.patagonia.com/product/linked-pack-16-liters/48050.html

Carries well, pretty burly and packs enough. Rolling the extended collar gives it some measure of weather resistance (light). With some smart packing and lashing the rope on top I can actually use this thing for a day of sport climbing. It's got loops for cord down the sides that let you attach whatever you want. It's relatively cheap, frequently on sale and is available enough that you have a shot at trying it on.

Cons: 

It hauls ok, but the back panel will get torn up if it twists. Although cinching the shoulder straps down mitigates this.

This one's on me, but worth noting - I attempted to use it for a day of trad cragging (light rack) and put a hole in the fabric between the front pocket and main area. That was me being overzealous.

If it's fully stuffed getting stuff out of the front zippered pocket can be a bit of a hassle.

While I don't have Tufas pack, I'll definitely toss them a vote as I use some of their other gear. If/when this thing goes I'll probably grab a stripped down mochilla.

Sean Maher · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2014 · Points: 1,255
Nolan Fulton wrote:

I got a Exped summit lite 25L 

Exped lite

i really liked how light it was. Has some sewn loops, water bottle pouch, ice axe sling, and chest and waist straps

Super cheap from Cotswold Outdoor right now

RandyLee · · On the road · Joined May 2016 · Points: 246

I carry the BD speed 22 and leave the lid and back pad at home.  It sits high enough, is light, and packs down enough for what I need. I did Mithril Dihedral inn Russell with it a couple of weeks ago. It seems like it'll hold up for quite a while. 

FosterK · · Edmonton, AB · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 67

Dead bird Cierzo 18, packs into it's front pocket (grapefruti sized), smushes flat at the bottom of a duffle, and has ice axe loops. https://arcteryx.com/ca/en/shop/mens/Cierzo-18-Backpack

John L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 10

I'm trying to find my perfect trad/alpine backpack that satisfies everything on my list

1) Less than $200 (including shipping and discount)

2) Less than 1kg 

3) Strong (at least 240 denier or strong enough to withstand light hauling)

4) Side compression strap

5) Hydration compatible

6) Expandable 

7) 25~30L

so far I looked at.....

Ortovox Trad 30 (satisfies everything except #6)

Black Diamond Speed 30 (satisfies everything except #2, but I heard waist belt padding and head can come off, so I don't know its "true" weight)

Cilogear 30 (satisfies everything except #1 only because I can't find discount code)

Arcteryx Alpha FL 30 (satisfies everything except #4 and #5)

Any suggestion?

Edit: Black Diamond 22 looks promising if it can expand to 30L

RandyLee wrote:

I carry the BD speed 22 and leave the lid and back pad at home.  It sits high enough, is light, and packs down enough for what I need. I did Mithril Dihedral inn Russell with it a couple of weeks ago. It seems like it'll hold up for quite a while. 

Hey, can I ask you some questions about BD Speed 22?

1) How large is extension collar on BD speed 22? Do you think I can fit 30L of gears all inside the backpack with collar fully extended?

2) When you say it "sits high enough", can I expect the backpack to rest comfortably on lumbar for long approach? BD Speed 22 doesn't offer size choice (S/M vs M/L) and it looks pretty small. My torso is about 20.5in and I'm 5'10"      

Thanks~

Gordon L · · Saint George, Saint George, BM · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 5

Exped core series

PW Zenpw · · Židlochovice · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 10
John L wrote:

I'm trying to find my perfect trad/alpine backpack that satisfies everything on my list

1) Less than $200 (including shipping and discount)

2) Less than 1kg 

3) Strong (at least 240 denier or strong enough to withstand light hauling)

4) Side compression strap

5) Hydration compatible

6) Expandable 

7) 25~30L

so far I looked at.....

Ortovox Trad 30 (satisfies everything except #6)

Black Diamond Speed 30 (satisfies everything except #2, but I heard waist belt padding and head can come off, so I don't know its "true" weight)

Cilogear 30 (satisfies everything except #1 only because I can't find discount code)

Arcteryx Alpha FL 30 (satisfies everything except #4 and #5)

Any suggestion?

How about 

Deuter GUIDE LITE 28 SL ?

http://www.deuter.com/US/us/climbing/guide-lite-28-sl-3360017.html

PW Zenpw wrote:

How about 

Deuter GUIDE LITE 28 SL ?

http://www.deuter.com/US/us/climbing/guide-lite-28-sl-3360017.html

I didn't realize Deuter updated Guide series. I have Guide 35+ (1.6kg I think) and it's pretty heavy for 35~40L range (but damn comfortable).

I guess Deuter made guide series lighter?

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

I pretty much always use the REI Flash 18 new model here. https://www.rei.com/product/892074/rei-co-op-flash-18-pack

Mike Palasek · · Columbus, OH · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

Wild Things guide pack. 20L. 28oz. Ice axe loops. Compression straps. Tough. $198. My go-to pack year round.

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292
Scott McMahon wrote:

I pretty much always use the REI Flash 18 new model here. https://www.rei.com/product/892074/rei-co-op-flash-18-pack

The OP wants durability. I take it you haven't abused the pack very hard. Mine is held together with tape. The flash is a good cheap pack, but it can't be hauled nor taken up a squeeze chimney without ripping in half. 

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 11,622
Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
Max Rausch wrote:

The OP wants durability. I take it you haven't abused the pack very hard. Mine is held together with tape. The flash is a good cheap pack, but it can't be hauled nor taken up a squeeze chimney without ripping in half. 

Ah saw "packable"

Daniel Tocci · · White Plains, NY · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 45

CAMP Eghen 22 liter technical pack

http://www.camp-usa.com/products/packs/eghen/

Mike Palasek · · Columbus, OH · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

Wild Things guide- tough as nails + packable.

RandyLee · · On the road · Joined May 2016 · Points: 246
John L wrote:

Hey, can I ask you some questions about BD Speed 22?

1) How large is extension collar on BD speed 22? Do you think I can fit 30L of gears all inside the backpack with collar fully extended?

2) When you say it "sits high enough", can I expect the backpack to rest comfortably on lumbar for long approach? BD Speed 22 doesn't offer size choice (S/M vs M/L) and it looks pretty small. My torso is about 20.5in and I'm 5'10"      

Thanks~

Ask away! It might just take me a bit to get back to you. I've been out climbing. 

Extension collar is pretty large. Not sure that it's an extra 8 liters... but I fit a full rack of doubles 0.1 - 4 plus nuts, tricams, slings, etc in there with a small first aid kit and rain jacket jammed in there and a 1.5l water bottle on top of all of that. I usually clip the harness, shoes, and helmet on the outside with. Sandwich, head lamp, and other bits and pieces go in the top compartment unless I take it off to go light, then they live at the bottom. I'm 5'.10", no idea on torso size but I wear a medium shirt / jacket in most brands if that helps, and it's super comfortable to me. I've taken it as a pack on a 15+ mile day hike and it was great. I'm a big fan. I'm sure some of the more expensive niche manufacturers that have been mentioned make gear that is better, but I'm super happy with the BD speed 22. I wish my petzl bug had held up half as well. I ripped that poor thing to shreds in no time. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "packable multipitch backpacks?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started