Boulder for training...

Original Post
jesse greg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Hey everyone. We are a couple that lives on the road full time. We have reached a point where we want to post up and focus on some intense climbing training. Climbing outdoors has been great, but we have been neglecting weight training. 

So would like to train in Boulder before we head to Europe. 

Looking for opinions on the local gyms.  

Also would be interested in seeing if anyone knew of a driveway to rent to park our little 4x4 bus in for the month or so. Don't want to be part of the vagrant scene that seems to be messing up the vibe for the locals. 

Hearing about the trash and other issues at the disperse camping spots bums us out. We dig boulder and want to respect it fully. 

Just wanting to train hard to climb better, while hanging out in a killer city.  

evan h · · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 205

Well not Boulder, but Denver Bouldering Club South is, in my opinion, the best climber's gym around. Everything you need for training and ZERO crowds. 

MauryB · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 308

Depends on what kind of weight training you're looking for. I presume you want climbing training stuff as well so a pure Crossfit-esque gym is out?

The bummer is that Boulder doesn't have any rad, totally equipped gyms in that regard like The Front or Momentum in SLC. The 'weight training' area at Movement is terrible (mostly a bunch of machines, and crowded); The Spot has a old school grunge weight area with metal plates and a couple odds-n-ends; not sure what the BRC has at the moment? If you just want a few dumbbells and a campus board then any of them are fine, but if you really want to get after it Boulder gyms are a bummer. EvoRock in Louisville seems to have a good setup, as does Earthtreks in Golden, and as Evan said the DBC has a decent little weight/training area.

Personally I gave up last year and just have rings, box, and a bumper set on my porch (plus a hangboard inside). It's the equivalent cost of less than a year at a Crossfit gym, and the view is better ;)

Niko Viglione · · Denver · Joined May 2015 · Points: 10

Alpine Training Center in Boulder is pretty sweet, as is Mountain Strong over in Denver if you wanted to make the drive out. Both are Crossfit styled climbing centric gyms - that is, climbing strength based workouts using Crossfit principles and programming.

Brian Carver · · Boulder, Co · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

I can't imagine what you would need that the BRC doesn't have. Hangboards, campus boards, moon board, rings, TRX, 2 squat racks w/ platforms, cardio equipment, full sets of db's and kb's, bb landline, finger/hand/fist cracks, auto belays, resistance bands, power bands, an array of grip trainers, rollers, yoga, wifi, a cafe area, and brand new showers. 

Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35

LOL!!! People complaining about climbing gyms in Boulder!  That's right up there with "Rich Kids of Instagram" complaining their daddy bought them the wrong color sports car.

For all around training I would recommend Earth Treks in Golden or Movement in downtown Denver.  They have the best "free weight" area and a good mix of both bouldering and climbing.  The gyms in Boulder have really good climbing but as said may lack a bit on the weight lifting/cardio side.  You could get a cheap membership to a 24-hr fitness type place or just run around the flatirons with a weighted pack if wanting to avoid the drive.  I've never been to Alpine Training Center or Mountain Strong but from what friends tell me they are much more focused on the cardio/fitness aspect and not so much finger strength.  Pick a gym situation based on what you are looking to do in Europe.

Every gym on the front range is going to be crowded, particularly after work hours.  Since you're living van life just go at odd hours.

jarthur · · Westminster, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 260

Evo Climbing and Fitness in Louisville, CO just a few minutes south of Boulder, CO. This gym has everything including an LED Moonboard, about 5 different hangboards, system board, (5) different campus boards, some weird ass compression campus thing that no one uses (but looks cool), weight training and plenty of cardio. Plus (8) auto-belays. I train there between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm and no one is there.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply