Help - Stick Clip Too Long for Cargo Box

Original Post
ARonchetti · · Mundelein, IL · Joined May 2011 · Points: 15

So I made a bit of a mistake. In my frustration over not being able to get the quick draw into first bolt with my old stick clip I went and bought a 8-16' foot painter's rod to act as my new stick clip not even thinking about the basic math that even at 8 feet the sucker won't fit in my car or in my yakima cargo box. I think I've managed to engineer a solution using 4 clamps and some bolts but I wanted to see if anyone out there on the internets has encountered this and if so what solution you've come up with. 

I will say that returning the painters rod is not an option. Short of that I'm pretty open. 

RockinOut · · NY, NY · Joined May 2010 · Points: 100

Bungee it to the crossbars right beside the box. 

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,610

Trango Beta Stick. 3' to 12'. Don't fight it, just admit it's what you need!

;)

ARonchetti · · Mundelein, IL · Joined May 2011 · Points: 15
Muscrat wrote:

Trango Beta Stick. 3' to 12'. Don't fight it, just admit it's what you need!

;)

But the money..... lol

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

Lightbulb changer from Home Depot goes from about 5' to 18'. Easily fits in a honda fit. 

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

In the cleaning section, not the painting section, they have a 4 section section 16' pole. It's the one with the blue plastic ends. You've definitely seen them around. It's about 4' closed, 4.5 with the clamp.

Get that. It's just as cheap and longer. It's much thicker than the golf ball retriever types that are difficult to use when extended. 

Mine is 6 or 7 years old and isn't broken. It's a decent investment.

ottothecow · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

The lightbulb changing stick is the way to go.  Cheaper than the painters pole too.

tom donnelly · · san diego · Joined Aug 2002 · Points: 282

Definitely cheaper to get a new stick clip,  or cut yours down.

But if you insist, you could choose the right size cable gland,  and drill a hole in the rear of the cargo box. 

Make sure you can angle the stick enough to slide it in.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/crouse-hinds/products/fittingsglands/cable_glands_andcableaccessories/cable_glands_-_northamericanstandards/cgb_series_non-armouredgland.html

Use a scrap piece of rubber under the cap to seal the hole when stick clip is not present.    

It will seal easiest if the diameter is smooth & has no issues with the rod handle.  likely best to remove the handle (& seal the tube)

Or you could extend the cargo box with a section of PVC pipe.   Attach it with a PVC bulkhead tank fitting with a socket glue joint for the PVC pipe.

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,348

Sell it on Craigslist and buy a new one of proper length? They arnt exactly expensive so I'd say the hassle of engineering some solution to mount it outside the car or fitting it diagonally across the interior so it pins your face against the side window is probably not worth the hassle compared to just buying a new one. I've seen used ones for $15 on C List that were in pretty good shape.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply