Climbing in Spain in late August?

Original Post
Jady Tolda · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 19 days ago · Points: 0

Hi everyone!

I am flying to Malaga  August 14th and staying in Estepona with my Uncle.

A) Is there any climbing that is easy to access from Estepona? Will I have to get a rental car?

B) If there are, will it be too hot to realistically climb? Where are the best mid-range crags around southern Spain?

C) Is anyone else planning to climb around that time and is looking for a partner/ would accommodate an addition to your group?

I'll have a 60m rope, 10 draws, a grigri and an ATC. I have lots of outdoor experience, mostly in Colorado.

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Where is Estepona in relation to Malaga? El Chorro is about an hour west of Malaga. While the Frontales sectors of El Chorro will likely be roasting in August and the Gorge climbs area currently of questionable access, there are areas such as Desplomandia higher up that are primarily in the shade and should be tolerable at that time of year. Also in that general area is El Torcal which is relatively high up and with routes on pinnacles facing in varying directions, so something will always be in the shade. A good bit inland, in the vicinity of Granada, are some granitic areas high up in the Sierra Nevada that are summer climbing destinations.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 12,639

Yeah, gonna be hot.  Like, 100F hot.  You'd have to find a spot up high out of the sun or you'll fry.  Standard season is October thru early May.

I believe there's public transport to El Chorro.  Still, by car, its an hour and a half away.  I think there's train service and an easy walk but, that might not get you out of the sun or lowland climbing (ie...hot!).

Renting a car would be best...

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

I was able to locate Estepona on a map. El Chorro is a good bit north and maybe a bit east from there--roughly between Ronda and Malaga (I'm guessing maybe a 2-21/2 hour drive) and El Torcal is even further northeast it seems that you would need to rent a car. While the main areas at El Chorro are very accessible from Malaga by train and then on foot, it would be a longer and more complicated train trip from Estepona because you'd have to get to Malaga first, then change trains. But the higher and cooler areas near El Chorro are several miles from the train station and not served by public transport making car rental the more logical option. While in the Estepona area taking a trip up to Ronda is very worthwhile--a nice town in a spectacular setting.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply