Tuolomne recommendations

Original Post
G-Raw · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 101

Hey folks. My girlfriend and I are passing through Tuolomne on our way through the Sierra. She's got a sprained ankle she's getting over ( walking with almost no limp). I was hoping to hop on a couple routes while driving through. Looking for recommendations for single pitch 10a or easier with approaches that won't be rough on the ankle of my girlfriend. I'd prefer quality over quntatity and I carry a single rack 000 to 4. Let me know if you have some ideas of routes to point me too...

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 6,435

Hoodwinked....but note the name!

Mike Womack · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,486

FYI - many of the walk offs would be hard on the ankles cause usually you just walk off the backside of the dome.  They aren't too intense, but to find routes that you could lower off would be helpful.  

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

The approaches to Stately Pleasure Dome, Pywiack Dome, and Lembert are about the easiest in the park. Getting to Low Profile Dome (Golfers Route, Darth Vader's Reveng, etc) is pretty easy, too.) The comment above about descents is worth noting. Can she handle descending 500' of slabs, then back to the car?

Next question: have you climbed in Tuolumne before? Are you good with 20' - 60' run-outs on 5.7-5.9 friction?

G-Raw · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 101

I've only Boulder ed in tuolomne. I've roped up in tahoe and the valley. Runout won't bother me me on easy mellow grades. Lowering off would be nice for cleaning due to her not following me on the route (ankle) . But I could set an anchor to clean then walk up to retrieve the anchor and rope.

phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 300

There Are a few things near the road without a walkoff in the Meadows at 10a or less. Piwyack has needle spoon, dike route etc. short walk, rap off. Low Profile has a couple, Dixie Peach on Stately, Great Circle on south flank of Daff etc are some options. But you can also go to the Mammoth area an hour away and have exactly what you are asking for at a dozen crags. 

Bruce Hildenbrand · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2003 · Points: 945

Low Profile Dome

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply