In need of partner - Seneca Rocks, WV

Original Post
Garrett Javersak · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Will be in the area from August 1st-14th. Will be spending most of my time in Dolly Sods doing some bouldering and TR soloing. Then to Franklin Gorge for what I've heard is great for a soloist.

Since I was little I've dreamt of Seneca; the rock is why I started climbing in the first place. 

Not that I distrust my lead-solo method, I don't trust myself on a multi pitch climb after an accident out in J-tree.

If there is anyone in the area/drivable distance; I'll make it much worth your while if you are interested in leading and or belaying me to the top. 

Will be checking this App as much as I can to see if anyone replies. 

Thank you. 

David Kerkeslager · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 45

I've been planning a trip to DC for the later end of that timeframe, and might be down to make a detour to Seneca Rocks. I'll have to lock down my DC plans first, though.

Michael P · · Pittsburgh · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 70
Garrett Javersak wrote:

Then to Franklin Gorge for what I've heard is great for a soloist.

I haven't been to Franklin Gorge. What do you mean by "great for a soloist"?

Is there easy top access for TR Solo?

Thanks,

Mike

Spencer Perry · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 65

Seneca is great for top rope soloing...I wouldn't recommend it on the weekends because of the crowds, but during the week if you are comfortable free soloing the first two pitches of Old Man's (easy 5th class) you can drop a TR on a bunch of great climbs (Prune, Seneca Days, Le Gourmet, Front C, Le Gourmet Direct, Neck Press, etc.).  It is also easy to hike around and drop a TR on the climbs by Ecstasy Jr.

If you are around on the weekends, I would be surprised if you wouldn't run into someone willing to take you to the top.  I will most likely be out there the weekend of August 5 and you could definitely join my party for a quick summit run at the end of the day if that is all you are looking for!

Spencer Perry wrote:

Seneca is great for top rope soloing...I wouldn't recommend it on the weekends because of the crowds, but during the week if you are comfortable free soloing the first two pitches of Old Man's (easy 5th class) you can drop a TR on a bunch of great climbs (Prune, Seneca Days, Le Gourmet, Front C, Le Gourmet Direct, Neck Press, etc.).  It is also easy to hike around and drop a TR on the climbs by Ecstasy Jr.

If you are around on the weekends, I would be surprised if you wouldn't run into someone willing to take you to the top.  I will most likely be out there the weekend of August 5 and you could definitely join my party for a quick summit run at the end of the day if that is all you are looking for!

Are you serious serious?? Could I really join you? It'd truly be a dream come true, if so I'll leave my contact info here so we can link up. 

And have you soloed the old mans? Is it that easy? What are my escape options?

Michael P wrote:

I haven't been to Franklin Gorge. What do you mean by "great for a soloist"?

Is there easy top access for TR Solo?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes. From beta I've read, the top is suppose to be easy accessed. So I'm really looking forward to a new crag. Heard nothing but great things about the Franklin crag 

Spencer Perry · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 65

Hey, I sent you a PM.  Check your email.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply