Mountain Project Logo

Portland Maine Area Climbing Partner

Original Post
Derek Terrio · · Biddeford, ME · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I just moved to Biddeford, Maine from Rhode Island and I'm looking for new climbing partners.  I joined the AMC in RI which is a very active group with a large email list.  I could find someone to climb with every weekend.  They also offered classes throughout the year.  Does such a group exist in Maine?  I've been to Salt Pump climbing gym a few times but their prices for outdoor classes are expensive. 

I took a few classes with the AMC that covered top rope anchor building, the basics of following trad, a little bit of self-rescue and sport climbing.  I've done some easy sport routes up to 5.8.  I have a 60m rope and a set of quickdraws. 

Just looking for someone to show me around the local spots.  Willing to top rope, sport climb, or follow some easy trad routes.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

Congrats on moving to an awesome spot, definitely a step up IMO! I don't live there anymore but loved my time in Portland. You can try here for partners if you're on Facebook: 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/155805931147489/

Otherwise just be extra social at the gym. 2 brand new gyms is quite a luxury for a small town. I have a hard time believing you couldn't at least convince someone to go to Rumney if you're into clipping bolts.  

Thanks. I really like this area. Unfortunately, that group doesn't seem to be too active anymore. It's hard for me to get to the gym right now because I've been working late. I went on Sunday but everyone else was outside enjoying the day. Thank you for your help.

Forrest Carver · · Edgecomb, ME · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 150

I live in Edgecomb and work in Woolwich. We should get together and do some TR. Will send you a PM

dan7watts · · Portland · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 10

Hi Derek,  

I live in Portland and am also looking for a climbing partner. I have mostly climbed TR and gym but have a rope and some gear. Let me know if you want to try to get out sometime. Weekends work best. 

-Dan

Jesse Everett · · Portland, ME · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

I am in Portland. Want to get out this Wednesday?

Saturday is best for me but sometimes Sunday can work. We’ll see how the weather looks this weekend.

Nick Brennan · · PNW · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 110

I'm in southern NH but like to climb all over. i'm always looking for friday partners. I really like the straight-in jamming climbs at cathedral and everything at Rumney besides parking lot wall, 5.8 crag, and the meadows.

Derek Piette · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

I’m new to the Portland area as well and have been looking for a climbing partner. I climb at EVO for now. So far just TR and have my own gear. Just hoping to get off the auto-belays soon. I mostly go in the mornings, late night, or on my days off (Tues/Wed).

dan7watts · · Portland · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 10

Anyone want to get out this Saturday?
 (11/11/17)

Forrest Carver · · Edgecomb, ME · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 150

Bump. 

I have Thursdays off and am almost always looking for a partner that day.

Would be down for Camden, N.Conway, EVO, or anything you want.

Anyone free tomorrow?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

North Eastern States Partners
Post a Reply to "Portland Maine Area Climbing Partner"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started