Easy routes around Seattle?

Original Post
Jack Welsh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

So, I'm breaking into easy sport leading, and I was wondering what other areas I could climb at after climbing out the deception crags / interstate park area. Any tips?

Thanks!

Chase Giltner · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Outside of exit 32 and 38, there's not too much else that close to seattle. Fossil rock maybe? And possibly a small handful  of other tiny crags. I think there's enough easy stuff at 32 and 38 to keep you occupied until you start to progress at leading. 

The other stuff would be Vantage, Leavenworth, Tieton, etc. but that's not exactly close. Index is really the only other close crag and it's not easy haha. 

John McNeill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

You could look at Mt Erie

Kyle Elliott · · Everett, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 360
John McNeill wrote:

You could look at Mt Erie

There's not a ton of easy sport leads at Erie (that are lower grade, easy to read, simple approach, well bolted) but there is a lot of easy to access toprope areas. many of the easier sport routes (sub 5.9) are on precarious ledges, need a small trad rack, or require hiking a maze of trails to access. 

exit 38 (deception and far side) have dozens of 5.5-5.9 on a easy trail, minutes from the road, that many folks would consider ample bolting, if not overbolted. perfect place to learn. and it's like 30-35 minutes from seattle.

ColinW · · San Diego, CA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 10

If you're willing to take the ferry over to bainbridge/bremerton, theres a few places relatively nearby in Kitsap county and also across the hood canal to climb. Check this out on here. Olympics climbing Theres Eagle rock in Kitsap county by bremerton and about 35-40 minutes outside of Kitsap, there's a 2 pitch crag right off the road that's not listed here on Mtn. Project. by Hamma Hamma and Lena creek campground. It's south on the 101 past Quilcene. I'll try to find some beta for you. 

mcarizona · · Flag · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 25

Maryoore park!

(...if you haven't already solo'd it)

ColinW · · San Diego, CA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 10

Olympic mountains climbers guide   Check that link out. My first introduction to multi-pitch climbing was at Hamma Hamma rocks. Theres a couple super fun routes. One top rope-able and 2 or 3 routes for 2 pitches. Around the 5.7-5.9 range i think. 

Curtveld · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 400

The obvious place that hasn't come up yet is Vantage.  Bit of a drive and more of a spring/fall place, but plenty to do there.

Erie might be worth getting to know, even though Kyle's caveats above are valid.  An abundance of sporty little crags with climbable days spread throughout the year. Consider the sketchy trails and hide-n-go-seek navigation part of the adventure!

Ashort · · Tacoma, WA · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 25

If you want to drive far you can't do better than Mazama. 

JCM · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 5

I'm skeptical of the premise that the OP will run out of routes at 38 anytime soon. Especially when you include the many Far Side crags, there are a lot of routes over there. And the options will increase with ability improvement. By the time he finishes all the good 5.8s at 38 he should be ready to do the 5.9s. Then on to 10a and so on.

Going to Vantage in the fall once the rains begin will provide lots more moderate options. And some farther trips to Mazama, Squamish, Skaha, and Smith will provide additional variety. 

Mazama, in particular, offers a fantastic concentration of easy sport climbs. It is a bit of a drive, though. Nice camping for weekend trips.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply