Mountain Project Logo

Mountain reading recommendations

Original Post
Lauren Burgess · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 10

I'm hoping to beef up my library with some books on the history and climbing of Denali, Rainier, and (if such books exist) Gannett, and would love recommendations from anyone who knows of some good ones! I just finishing listening to the audiobook of Denali's Howl and while I'm sure it's a good read the narration left a lot to be desired... so back to paper it is, unless someone has had a really great experience with an audiobook. I've also read Eiger Dreams, Into Thin Air, The Climb, The Tower, and No Shortcuts to the Top - but I have Gannett, Rainier, and Denali on the long-term calendar, so I'd really love to read more specifically about those mountains. Thanks much for any help!

FosterK · · Edmonton, AB · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 40

Forever on the Mountain by James Tabor is a good account of the '67 WIlcox Denali expedition is the style of Norman Maclean's Young Men and Fire. Highly recommended. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 210

There's bits and pieces of old stories about the early attempts and successes on Gannett. Most of what I've heard comes from the locals who would help porter or shuttle the climbers into the mountains. You may be able to dig up some old Todd Skinner articles on Gannett. The one that comes to mind is the time he took a bunch of NOLSies up the Gooseneck Ridge route (in the winter if I remember correctly). Can't remember the name of the article, but you may be able to find it on the "Cowboys on Everest" website about the 1988 attempt. The Skinner brothers helped start NOLS and Todd did a lot to help out around the farm; I believe the original NOLS ranch is pretty close to Pinedale, on the way to Big Sandy Opening. Other than that, try looking for some stories by Orren or Lorainne Bonney. They did a lot of early ascents on the peaks around Gannett.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply