LONGS PEAK

Original Post
Nick Criser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 18 days ago · Points: 0

I'm wanting to clibm longs with plenty of time to make it to the top, so I'm thinking about starting late afternoon, summiting late night, and resting until sunrise. Is this doable? I've climbed longs before but during the day

Dharma Bum · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 430

Not during thunderstorm season.

Nick Criser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 18 days ago · Points: 0

So what time should I leave to be safe from storms? Like when is a safe time to assume storms are done other than just knowing on that day? Last time we didn't have any storms so we got lucky there.

MikeDee Dickinson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Generally folks leave the Longs Campground around 2 am with the objective of summiting well before noon. Ascending and descending the final three miles to the summit takes most people about the same amount of time, so time your summit accordingly.

DCarey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 15
Nick Criser wrote:

I'm wanting to clibm longs with plenty of time to make it to the top, so I'm thinking about starting late afternoon, summiting late night, and resting until sunrise. Is this doable? I've climbed longs before but during the day

Plenty of time to make it to the top before what? Thunder storms? Work? A hot date? Why not start at midnight (you have climbed it before so you should be familiar with the route and darkness should not be a problem) summit around sunrise, then head down and be back at your car before noon?

Dharma Bum · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 430

It's a total crapshoot as to when and if thunderstorms occur.  You're best bet is a favorable weather forecast made <24 hours in advance and then checking the radar before you head up.  

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 251
Dharma Bum wrote:

It's a total crapshoot as to when and if thunderstorms occur.  You're best bet is a favorable weather forecast made <24 hours in advance and then checking the radar before you head up.  

Dharma's right, but...

RANT MODE ON

Nick, you have no hometown listed, so we don't know where you are.   If you were anywhere near Colorado, you'd already KNOW that we've had heavy thunderstorms every day for a week, pretty much state-wide, with no change to the weather pattern in sight.   

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.2547&lon=-105.6158

We're smack in the middle of a monsoon pattern, and going up there is kinda brain-dead unless you enjoy climbing miserable.  (I've been told there ARE people like that.  Had one pointed out to me once.)  

You don't give us any hint of WHEN you are hoping to do this.  Tomorrow or next month?

Also, you give us no information regarding what route you're intending to take...  which has a huge impact on whether you summit or not.  

Sorry to single you out Nick, but I see these brain-dead questions all the time, and the value of the answers reflect the quality of the question.

RANT MODE OFF

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply