Suggest Adding Crag Exposure

Original Post
Vaughn · · Colorado · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 25

Many of the guidebooks I use include exposure (orientation) in the description of various climbing areas.  I find this to be extremely useful in deciding where to go for a day of climbing. If its a hot day, I don't want to be at a South facing crag. Often, this information is contained in the written descriptions, but not always. It would be really nice if this was a searchable (or filter) option here on mountain project. Either route by route or by crag. I imagine if this feature were made available, the crowd sourced nature of the site would quickly amend the existing database.

Mike Womack · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,297

Agreed.  It can be a radio type button:  All day sun, AM sun, PM sun, or ALL day shade

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,128
Mike Womack wrote:

Agreed.  It can be a radio type button:  All day sun, AM sun, PM sun, or ALL day shade

Problem is that can be season dependent. You would need one for the summer and another for the winter in some areas.

Bill Lawry · · New Mexico · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,407

Seasons could be handled better than in guide books.

Users with information include the date and hours of the sun/shade information.

Users wanting information enter the date ... or the default date is current date.  The five (?) entries closest in time are displayed.

One challenge would be complex routes where, say, one part is in shade and another is in sun - especially significant for multi-pitch routes. Perhaps just include a "mixed shade / sun" option?

Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 282
Vaughn wrote:

Many of the guidebooks I use include exposure (orientation) in the description of various climbing areas.  I find this to be extremely useful in deciding where to go for a day of climbing. If its a hot day, I don't want to be at a South facing crag. Often, this information is contained in the written descriptions, but not always. It would be really nice if this was a searchable (or filter) option here on mountain project. Either route by route or by crag. I imagine if this feature were made available, the crowd sourced nature of the site would quickly amend the existing database.

+100, this is an extremely useful piece of information. Ideally it would be searchable. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply