If I had a million dollars...

Original Post
Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 50

For educational purposes, what are the reputable climbing affiliated or related charities/foundations? I think I've only heard about the Acess Fund and the Honnold Foundation (the latter actually is pretty rad). 

Mitch Alexander · · SLO, CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

American Safe Climbing Association, American Alpine Club, Sierra Club, I'm sure there are more related to specific areas as well. 

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,128

There are tons of LCO. Southeastern Climbers Coalition and RRGCC are two of the larger ones. Here is the full list:

https://www.accessfund.org/meet-the-access-fund/our-network/local-climbing-organizations

Andrew AJ Jackson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

The Carolina Climbers Coalition has grown into a multi state (NC,SC and VA) organization protecting climbing access in the region.  

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

Honnold foundation isn't climbing related.

Walter Galli · · Sint Maarten · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 1,096
Andrew AJ Jackson wrote:

The Carolina Climbers Coalition has grown into a multi state (NC,SC and VA) organization protecting climbing access in the region.  

Is that you? In the picture?

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 643

This is an exceptional group:

http://www.paradoxsports.org/

Jameson Young · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Check out catalyst sports. They have a lot of events that help empower people with a variety of disabilities. They have a monthly event at several gyms in the south east. 

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 150

Big City Mountaineering or Mountaineers is a cool one.

Walter Galli wrote:

Is that you? In the picture?

It is, one of our local climbs in NC.

Walter Galli · · Sint Maarten · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 1,096

Man that's a good roof picture, way to go.

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 50
Jameson Young wrote:

Check out catalyst sports. They have a lot of events that help empower people with a variety of disabilities. They have a monthly event at several gyms in the south east. 

Yeah something like that is easy to get behind and the impact is obvious. Definitely on the list.

Somehow, it feels wrong to donate a meaningful sum (i.e. beyond the regular "premium" membership) to access advocacy organizations, especially in the areas where you end up paying for access. 

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120
Jason Todd wrote:

This is an exceptional group:

http://www.paradoxsports.org/

Another vote for this, or a local equivalent, if you have it. These climbers make most of look like the pikers/wannabes we are, IMO!

Matthew Massey · · Beckley, WV · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 5

The New has NRAC. They do a lot of trail work and route maintenance. You can donate to them at Waterstone if you're ever in the New! (Plus they give you stickers for donating, pimp out your water bottle and show everyone how cool you are!) ;)

Spencer Parkin · · Bountiful · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

You could donate to my mortgage fund.  I still owe about 200K.

Walter Galli wrote:

Man that's a good roof picture, way to go.

Thanks Walter 

Chad Laflamme · · North Conway, NH · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 20

Kismet Rock Foundation 

www.kismetrockfoundation.org

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 136

City Wild. Does both rafting and climbing trips for inner city underprivileged youth. It also hires underprivileged adolescents to be raft guides and climbing guides

QdeBees · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0

There are lots more: American Alpine Club; American Mountain Guides Association (see scholarships e.g. Craig Lueben Memorial Scholarship); The Mountaineers (Seattle, see Conservation division) and similar regional mountain clubs such as Appalachian, Colorado, etc. that teach climbing; Leave No Trace; Outward Bound; Boulderclimbers.org; First Descents (cancer survivors); Action Committee for Eldorado Canyon; Yosemite SAR; Rocky Mountain Rescue;  Women's Wilderness Institute; National Parks Foundation; Yosemite Climbing Association (Faceift); Shoes for Sherpas......  I suggest Googling your favorite area to find others.  (I found "The Alpine Finishing School for Ladies".  Probably I should attend.)    

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply