Mountain Project Logo

"Little Cottonwood Couch"

Original Post
Simon W · · Nowhere Land · Joined May 2013 · Points: 55

After almost two years in SLC finally went to check out some of LCCs bouldering and I came across a love-seat dumped in the Secret Garden.  Interesting first impression.  I believe it's near the aptly named "Beer Can Cave" as I found about 50 beer cans scattered out there as well.  It's on the south side.  The boulder itself has a hard looking problem in the cave on the north side and an easy romp up a flake right where you get to it from the trail.  Lots of slabby climbing on other sides of it.

The people who left it there wrote "property of..." with their first and last names on it.  They also wrote 'please take care of this couch..'

I would really like to see this thing gone and I'm guessing I'm not alone in that sentiment..  If you need a seat, pack one in and out.  

Entirely possible that climbers didn't put it there, but I wouldn't want someone to think that climbers did.

If it's your couch please remove it, otherwise if someone wants to help me get it out of there PM me.

zoso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 790

Good hell.

What are the names?  Did you look into that at all?  I don't have a truck to get rid of said offense but am willing to help.  Just say the word. 

This "hammocking" craze seems to be doing this or it's just a symptom of more people in the woods.  Found 4 plastic chairs stashed around a fire pit earlier this summer.  Thankfully they were light so we packed them out without much trouble.  

I hope that if those who put it there see this they will get rid of it but they probably aren't climbers, the more I think about it..

It's not my business to decide the punishment but I do wonder what would happen if they were turned in.  Which is why I am erring on the side of not sharing that information for now.  It's not federal land but..

Plan is to get it out of there on Saturday morning!  A  kind user on here reached out to me.

Boissal . · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,541

Please share the name. I'd love to return this couch to the owner's driveway. After lathering it with shit. 

Boissal wrote:

Please share the name. I'd love to return this couch to the owner's driveway. After lathering it with shit. 

Well it's TWO of them... so you would have to cut it in half first =P

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

If there are names on it I would suggest contacting the Forest Service LEOs and let them handle the initial bit. Then let them know that when they are done you would be happy to volunteer to remove it.

Stefano Verde · · salt lake city, ut · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 10

SLC.... gone to the dogs. 

Boissal . · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,541
Simon W wrote:

Well it's TWO of them... so you would have to cut it in half first =P

That can be arranged.
Allen, quit being the voice of reason.

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 20

Seems like the couch IS the local ethic. It was there before you.

Seth Reelitz · · Utah · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 156

Couch and a bunch of trash (including a pair of undies) was hauled out this morning around 10am. If anyone (Boissal) needs a broken down leather loveseat let me know. It's missing the cushions, has several rips, and a bunch of graffiti on the backside.    

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to ""Little Cottonwood Couch""

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started