Ouray Canyoning

Original Post
MileHighMitch · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 15

Local durangotang looking for some Ouray Canyoning beta. Trying to break into the sport (done more canyoneering type routes) and any beta is appreciated. Planning on getting guidebook at Mtn Sports but wanted to see what the people had to say. Looking to do an intro - but challenging - route.

climb on

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 13,702

You might try a canyoning specific forum like the Canyon Collective.

Hector Luevano · · San Diego, CA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 10

What's the difference between canyoning and canyoneering?

trice Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0
Hector Luevano wrote:

What's the difference between canyoning and canyoneering?

two e's and an r

Hector Luevano · · San Diego, CA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 10
trice Rice wrote:

two e's and an r

That's what I figured. Maybe I misunderstood OPs post.

Ryan Marsters · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 848

The canyons around there and Silverton are fantastic. There's a whole lot less leeway with class C canyoning vs Utah style canyoneering. Slicker, more dangerous, and more intricate ropework to avoid snags or fireman-ing yourself in the middle of a waterfall. Between Dalin's guide and Ropewiki, there's plenty of info on where to find the canyons and how difficult they are, but yeah, definitely want to practice figure 8 blocks, lowering, whistle communication, and other techniques, if you haven't already.

Ouray Mtn Guides runs tours through there, or reach out to people on the Colorado Canyoneering FB page.

Staney · · Durango, CO · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 15

I think that Canyoning is more focused on mountain waterways with significant flowing water. Canyoneering as we see it is more focused on descending drier canyons with stagnant or minimal water flow.

MileHighMitch · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 15

Thanks for all the info! I was able to find out a good amount of beta for some into canyons, just figured I'd utilize this site. Angel creek and portland are great intro canyons in ouray.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply