Mountain Project Logo

Anywhere to climb near Austin/San Antonio in August?

Original Post
John Stevenson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Hi everyone, I'm a British climber heading out to the US next week and will be based in San Antonio, Texas. I have been here before several times but I have never tried to climb as I have always thought it would be too hot. However, I have looked online and noticed there is limestone around Austin and other crags dotted around the area. I just wanted to know from any locals if there is anywhere you can realistically climb this time of year around the Austin/San Antonio area without suffering in the heat? I will have use of a hire car so am happy to drive to get out on some rock. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

Josh H · · El Paso · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Reimer's Ranch is my go to spot when I go home to San Antonio. You may still suffer from the humidity but most of Reimer's Ranch is in the shade of huge Oak trees. It's also along a river so if you feel like it, you can go swimming. Reimers is about 2 hours from San Antonio so not terribly far. I hope you enjoy Texas and have a good visit. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Enchanted Rock is solid granite trad if you're into that and it's about 1-2 hours from SAT.  I'd say it's the highest quality climbing in the area, unless you're into 30' bolted limestone sport routes.  It's doable in the summer if you get there at dawn and leave by noon.

Deniz Varan · · Cedar Park · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15

Reimers Ranch and Greenbelt in Austin are both doable early in the morning and in the early evening.  I've been climbing from 7am-noon at Reimers Ranch, and 5pm-8:30pm at the Greenbelt and most walls are decently shaded during those times.  It will still be hot and humid, but definitely doable and mostly out of direct sun.
Enjoy your visit!

WMcD · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 170

Consider pace bend park outside of Austin for deep water solo. You'll need to research water levels but the Austin rock guidebook has good info.  You will roast anywhere else.

See here also: http://www.bloodyflapper.com/pacebend

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply