Mountain Project Logo

Russian Aiders

Original Post
Daniel McCormick · · San Jose, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 45

Could someone explain Russian aiders to me? Im having trouble finding them or information on them. I dont quite understand the benefits or how they function.

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

We call 'em крюконоги - hooked legs.

The idea is you have two hooks attached to each leg somewhat below your knees. Aiders are webbings with small metal rings. You hook those rings with hooks to progress upwards.

Thus your feet are off of aiding so you can wear any shoes you like (e.g. your favorite climbing shoes) - your feet are resting while you aiding. Thus there is no hassle to transit in between free and aid climbing.

Examples:

* Aiders: http://vento.ru/sport/catalog/48/1688 or http://krukonogi.com/en/ladders-smart-2-4-5-aluminium-nylon.html

* Крюконоги: http://krukonogi.com/en/aiders-superfast.html

Jon Nelson · · Redmond, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 8,191

Thanks Pavel. Those look interesting. 

I suppose that another advantage is that, properly attached to the leg strap, one's foot never slips out of a step. 

Outside of Russia, are they popular? 

This system is kinda standard across ex-USSR countries. Have no idea whether it is used anywhere else.

There's an obvious disadvantage - no high stepping is possible. Thus for hard aid we often carry an alpine aider or a short one or two steps ladder.

Thanks Pavel! 

Thats the best explanation I've seen anywhere.

Are they more comfortable than regular aiders for extended stances? 

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,506

Ask PTPP, he's got a pair.

Other good points to Russian aiders is that the line of rings don't catch in the wind as much as regular webbing ladders (especially if you clip some weight in the bottom), they attach closer to your center of gravity which is nice for working on roofs, more compact when not in use.

Problems: Can be painful if not fitted/padded properly, probably hard to use without using your hand to attach the rings?

I imagine it takes some precision to hook the rings?

Firestone · · California · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 186

Russian aiders can't flip inside out like etriers

Daniel McCormick wrote:

Are they more comfortable than regular aiders for extended stances? 

It depends. Personally I find huge Fish ladders to be more comfortable to aid been waaay bulkier vs rings'n'hooks setup. Also one has to fit those legs hook with a great precision, otherwise they wouldn't be comfortable at all.

One more hint - been attached to harness with daisy chains or cords and binners those straps and rings are comfortable to carry over shoulder. It really saves time and decreases the mess.

Daniel McCormick wrote:

I imagine it takes some precision to hook the rings?

Not that much. Half a day of training is enough.

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981

I used a pair for a bit, wasn't too impressed. Main issue was that they're more difficult to step back down to rest when in a stressed position (like drilling rivets) due to the need to be more exactling than you have to with ladders 

Will S · · Joshua Tree · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,061

Will S wrote: 

You can also hook them straight into the pro if you need to get as high as possible. Top stepping in a regular set of ladders, your contact is the sole of your foot, and it always feels more precarious to me than the Russians.

Whoa that sounds awesome, I'm sure in certain scenarios it could be pretty stable.

Will S wrote: 

Pass the Penis Pete

BAHAHAHAHAHA

John Shultz · · Osaka, Japan · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 50

The Krukonogi leg cuffs are much better than the old Trango ones. But I am happy to have the old titanium ringed aiders. 

Cheers from Osaka,

john 

Kristoffer Wickstrom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 51

I found they work well if you are doing aid climbing while wearing crampons. hooking off your knee gives you the ability to spread your feet apart so you don't snag your calf with your crampons as you do when using a webbing ladder. I also found it easier to transition back to climbing with my crampons when using Russians than it is with standard ladders. 

that being said, on a dry route you would never catch me wearing my Russians. 

I also second the statement that Krukonogi make a really nice set. 

Peter Zabrok · · Hamilton, ON · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 645

Here you go:  http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=495312&tn=0&mr=0

I use them exclusively. They are great on steep overhanging stuff because of how high - and how easily - you can stand.  So for steep and hard aid, they are the bomb.  

Disadvantages:  not good at all on easy aid, like less-than-vertical C1, because the damn titanium rings on the aid trees keep getting stuck in the cracks, and you have to downclimb over a body length to unsnag them.  So not great on The Nose.  And if you have to do a real live hero loop move, you will need to put a sling directly on the piece, and stand in that, because the top rings are not high enough.

I love them!  I am amazed, actually, that they never really caught on.  Ten years ago I predicted that they would be the wave of the future.  Well, evidently not!  

Cheers, eh?

Pete

David White · · Denver, CO · Joined Aug 2020 · Points: 0

I am recovering from a broken tib fib and twisting my leg in a ladder is painful and I am considering getting russian riders as I feel it will be less torque on my leg, any thoughts ?

Peter Zabrok · · Hamilton, ON · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 645

Hmm, good question.  I think maybe more secure and less torque on your ankle? Maybe more torque on your knee? 

Olle Hjort, what do you think? 

Kurt Arend · · Las Vegas, Nv · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 150

my take on the Russian aiders...

Steep hard aid they work great. I find them really secure, and the "ski boot" effect that you get is valuable in steep hard terrain. They are slower then just stuffing your feet in a ladder and going up though, but on harder pitches that is the least of your worries. If right side hard routes are in your future I'd get them. Anything with a wide crack or C1 crack jugging wouldn't bother. I did find my legs got weird cramps when was out on lead for long periods of time in the Russian aiders. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Russian Aiders"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started