Thunderbolt to Sill traverse without descending to Sam Mack Meadow

Original Post
David S. · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 10

Title pretty much says it all. I have a permit for Bishop Pass later in the season but won't have a second car to park down at Glacier Lodge. Thus I am looking to hike in to Dusy Basin, ascend Thunderbolt via the SW chute, do the traverse, and then come back to Dusy Basin from Mt Sill in a marathon day. 

I am wondering if one can get back to Dusy Basin (or Thunderbolt Pass) from Sill without going over technical terrain ('technical' = class 4 or greater). Anyone have an experience or knowledge they can proffer forth about this?

Thanks ahead of time!

Eli Stein · · Soulthern Caliswag · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10

Yes - i did this ~5 years ago and it's a cruiser traverse. You go over knapsack pass (if I'm remembering the name correctly). Class 3 max. ~3 hours from where you get dropped off after descending from Sill to being back in Dusy.

Thanks Eli! Do you possibly mean Potluck Pass, then? (just from looking at the topo now in a new light)

max schoenlein · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

David- any word about snow conditions for the approach to the traverse... were crampons and Ice axe needed?

Max-

I'm heading out over Labor Day weekend ("later in the season"). I can't help ya out now, but I'll be sure to post up after that trip.

I was on the northeast side of Conness last weekend and there are still mighty amounts of snow above 10-11,000' in the northern and eastern facing sections. I felt pretty uncomfortable without snow gear (at least an ax), and I'd assume the Palisades are no different, esp. in the couloirs. 

JaredG · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

This might give you an idea of recent conditions:

http://www.supertopo.com/tr/Mt-Sill-Swiss-Arete-July-29-30-2017/t13183n.html

Ryan Huetter · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 255

Regardless of how short it looks on the map, it is WAY faster to simply return to Polemonium, rap back down to the U Notch and then descend west back to Palisade Basin. 3rd class and goes quick. The Potluck Pass exit is not a good strategy for those doing the Traverse wanting to get back to their camp at T-Bolt Col.

As of right now you could get up the SW Chute 1 with a short ax and without spikes (only snow up to ledge traverse next to chockstone).

Thanks Ryan. That's hella (judge me) useful beta.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply