Mountain Project Logo

Climbing guides for Smith Rock

Original Post
Bala S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Hi all, we (family of 4) will be in the Smith Rock area for the eclipse weekend. Any recommendations for guides for a half day? This will be our first outdoor climbing experience. Thanks for any pointers! 

claty · · Cornudella de Montsant, Esp… · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 10

Shout out to Smith Rock Climbing Guides, all of their guides are super solid, and great people. 

http://www.smithrockclimbingguides.com/

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,392
Ryan Bowen · · Bend, Or · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 85
Mike Brady wrote:

I concurr

any other day of the millennium would probably be better

Hmm, as soon as I posted the question, I was wondering about how crowded the place would be on this weekend! Do you think it wouldn't make for a great first rock day because of the crowds or something else? 

And thanks for the tip about Smith Rock Climbing Guides, I did check out their website, always great to get a reference as well.  

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,392
Bala S wrote:
Ryan Palo · · Bend, oregon · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 605

Unless your family is all on bike, I doubt you'll be able to actually make it to the park. 

claty · · Cornudella de Montsant, Esp… · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 10

yeah, it's probably going to be a complete and utter disaster that weekend (I'm on the local SAR team and we are all pretty much on standby for the entire weekend). I didn't weigh in on if it was a good idea to try to visit or climb that weekend since you just asked for beta on guides, but since you asked we are bracing for an incredible influx of traffic, visitors, and general all around nonsense. That being said, It hasn't been crowded at all in the park the past few weekends because it's so hot and unpleasant to climb (i've been getting out at 5am and by 11am the heat is intolerable) but with an anticipated 100k+ visitors to the area for the eclipse, I'm sure some of them are going to plan on climbing so it'll probably be insanely crowded even though the temps are not great for climbing. We've been getting pretty routine calls for heat exhaustion and have been carrying people out of the park on a regular basis this summer already and any weekend in August is going to be hot. A guide service will know how to chase the shade and keep you from getting overheated so if you're hellbent on climbing that weekend I would strongly recommend hiring someone to show you around the park safely. I just can't believe how many assholes I see climbing morning glory in the full sun because they just don't know any better so don't be one of those people. 

Ha ha, thanks @claty! I certainly did not want to be one of "those" people hence the question about the guides. Thank you for your insight about what to expect for that weekend. We will plan the climb on a different visit to grandma and grandpa and just plan to watch the eclipse from their pasture this time. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Climbing guides for Smith Rock"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started