Dolomites in October

Original Post
Kevin Dugan 1 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Targeting the Pala group in October 20-24 and looking for beta and a partner. Also open to another area if close by.

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 10,116

Great climbing area, but do check what huts still have guardian / food service. And what lifts are still operating. Snow might have hit already in Sept.

Ken

Bruce Hildenbrand · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2003 · Points: 930

What kenr said.  Most huts are probably closed by then and it could be very cold with the possibility of snow and ice.

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 10,116

other area close by at low altitude might be ...
Sarca valley walls, which is roughly the title of the English translation of the guidebook.
The Trad multi-pitch version of the famous sport climbing at Arco.

. . (I assume that when you said Pala that you understood that you were going for Trad multi-pitch.)

Ken

Kinobi Eman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Ciao Kevin, Greetings from Italy.

On those dates most huts are closed, not to say all of them. Very unlikely you get snow and ice. Most of huts have a bivac site, always open,  where you can sleep with a roof and sometimes blankets. You need to carry your food. Climbing in Dolomiti, is rather vary. What do you want to do and what's your level of climbing?

Ciao,

E

Kevin Dugan · · Ketchum, Idaho · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Thank you, Bruce, Ken and Kinobi,

For the information and I'm visiting my Dad who's about 1.5hrs away from the Pala Group and have been climbing in the late September time but not in October so am aware of what might occur weather wise but have to work lol the dice and hope for the best! If no injuries till then I'm looking for classic lines and 6a/6b grades.

Kevin

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply